What to look for Boxster 986

1666matt

Hi all I hope you can help. 

I hopefully will be buying a boxster s around 2000 very soon and I'm just wondering what point's to look out for? 

The thing's that I am aware of is

1,ims

2,rms

3,wet passenger footwell

4,air conditioning working

5,leaking radiators

6,hood mechanism

7,heavy clutch

8,cracked coolant bottle

9, emulsificationin the oil cap

Is there anything else? 

Great site by the way and hopefully all is well and I'll post the pictures up when I get the car

Thank you 

Brake condition especially inside disc face, exhaust fixings, gearchange clonk probably engine mount, sticky microswitch affecting roof/window/door, suspension clonks and rattles. 

If I were buying, I'd be looking for:

1. A friend who has a Boxster/Cayman of similar age to go with you on a first inspection and test ride.

2. A Porsche mechanic who can, with sellers permission of course,  go over the car thoroughly at your expense and tell you the details of the car's condition. You pay, should take 2-3 hours labor and include a written report.  Included would be things like age and condition of tires, condition of 12v battery, thickness of pads and rotors, condition of belt and idlers, clutch condition, any leaks, compression and leakdown test, inspection of oil filter for metallic or ferrous material. You do this after you and the seller have agreed on a price subject to any financially serious discoveries by the PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection). An accumulation of small things is not sufficient to void the deal or even adjust the price but thousands of pounds would be. (My second Boxster I spent $280 for the PPI and $3k for the necessary to me repairs. None was to me fatal and I didn't adjust the price a bit from what had been agreed prior. I knew from the PPI what they would cost when I paid for the PPI and car and so did the seller.  Only he didn't know I was a fanatic and would have them all done at once to position the car for the next 5 years of trouble free driving.)

Wonderful cars.

I've written more about buying here.

Check the sub £3.5k thread...;)

much of the advice still stands for sub £7k boxsters... 

find one you love, be willing to invest a little in it. Drive it to keep it loose and lubed. And smile?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4 de febrero de 2018 at 6:32 PM, mikefocke said:

If I were buying, I'd be looking for:

1. A friend who has a Boxster/Cayman of similar age to go with you on a first inspection and test ride.

2. A Porsche mechanic who can, with sellers permission of course,  go over the car thoroughly at your expense and tell you the details of the car's condition. You pay, should take 2-3 hours labor and include a written report.  Included would be things like age and condition of tires, condition of 12v battery, thickness of pads and rotors, condition of belt and idlers, clutch condition, any leaks, compression and leakdown test, inspection of oil filter for metallic or ferrous material. You do this after you and the seller have agreed on a price subject to any financially serious discoveries by the PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection). An accumulation of small things is not sufficient to void the deal or even adjust the price but thousands of pounds would be. (My second Boxster I spent $280 for the PPI and $3k for the necessary to me repairs. None was to me fatal and I didn't adjust the price a bit from what had been agreed prior. I knew from the PPI what they would cost when I paid for the PPI and car and so did the seller.  Only he didn't know I was a fanatic and would have them all done at once to position the car for the next 5 years of trouble free driving.)

Wonderful cars.

I've written more about buying here.

Or you could just take a punt and buy it unseen as I did with mine lol :lol:

Hi thanks for all the replies, I did get one a 2000 boxster s manual sorry owd ? my daily driver is an auto, well I say daily I haven't used her in 9 days!! Porsche only. 

There are some pics of mine in the Newby and under £3500 pages

On 04/02/2018 at 1:19 PM, 1666matt said:

Hi all I hope you can help. 

I hopefully will be buying a boxster s around 2000 very soon and I'm just wondering what point's to look out for? 

The thing's that I am aware of is

1,ims

2,rms

3,wet passenger footwell

4,air conditioning working

5,leaking radiators

6,hood mechanism

7,heavy clutch

8,cracked coolant bottle

9, emulsificationin the oil cap

Is there anything else? 

Great site by the way and hopefully all is well and I'll post the pictures up when I get the car

Thank you 

these models (2000-2001) mostly suffer from intermix. I had one, and I've seen many on forums. Cracked heads, so oil and water mix together, not good if not inspected early. So yes, your number 8 and 9 quite important. Other than that, if the car has no rust, no accident and the rest is clean, (assuming the price is less than 5k), just drive and enjoy! ;) 

Archived