Ahh scruffy NUTS!! (and caliper paint removal)

IHC

So work started properly today, car is now on 4 axle stands and wheels all off ready for caliper refresh.  It should be noted those wheels are enormous, they make the ones on the MX-5 seem really diddy. As a result I now have two jobs:

Wheel bolts (see below) are a mess - other than lots of money on new ones, has anyone any recommendations for tidying them up? 

Brake pads are out on all four calipers and I've started taking the yellow back with a wire brush.  It fell off quite readily in many places, I'm now wondering re a little paint stripper in those places where its a bit stubborn.  I cant see an issue with this, I'll keep it away from rubber boots.  Does any one see any problem with such a method / or tried it previously themselves?

cwYKd2NY2tXFCVKmgTLGDba1hOfJblR7afoxf2HN

HeMlmT6588T30kZJlXaiiaIexn_E24Y83Up3vjq7

eA5EtZCfTB_isU-nmI4k8lX7PDbOjjHD0bOPl9GL

Just give the wheel bolts (and brake disc bells) a lick of hammerite smooth silver. Works a treat.

Just dont paint the disc face or wheel mounting face where possible, neither the bolt threads (obviously) or seats/bases so they still sit nicely.  

Mine lasted for my whole ownership.

What colour are you repainting the calipers and what paint are you planning on using?

The reason I ask is I've painted a few sets and never needed to completely remove the old paint, ive simply rubbed them down and removed any peels and painted them.

34887056895_7bf7a4453e_b.jpg

The finish is very good and very long lasting ?

34862043546_fbdf404dfd_b.jpg

Hi both, thanks for the guidance.

Jason  - Ill get cracking on the nuts - I was concerned paint would chip off but sounds like it will be fine.  Nice easy satisfying job.

Lonewolf - those calipers of yours look just lovely! Fingers crossed I can get mine half as good!  I was simply thinking re taking it all back, given most came off quite easily and the perfectionist in me doesn't ever want the yellow remnants shining through any future chips.  I've got two pack rosso red brush on on the shelf, but they are now starting to look like they would be very easy and nice to spray - so I'm now wondering which will be best...

I would definitely recommend spraying, i did mine with decent spray cans. I have a compressor and spray guns but the results are so good from the cans i didn't bother.

As you are going for full paint removal,i would use a high temperature primer/undercoat. Fully dry it off and lightly rub it back with a scotchbrite cloth, then remove any dust and paint.

Make sure you all around the bottom of the car and the wheel arches, use tinfoil for masking up the suspension arms etc as it is easier than paper ?

34045604984_1fa8b05e3a_b.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I would definitely recommend spraying, i did mine with decent spray cans. I have a compressor and spray guns but the results are so good from the cans i didn't bother.

As you are going for full paint removal,i would use a high temperature primer/undercoat. Fully dry it off and lightly rub it back with a scotchbrite cloth, then remove any dust and paint.

Make sure you all around the bottom of the car and the wheel arches, use tinfoil for masking up the suspension arms etc as it is easier than paper ?

Well it certainly looks like that's the way to do it given the quality of finish you've achieved. Thank so much for the guidance, I'll get myself some spray cans and mask off as you suggest.

Cheers, Ian

1 minute ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Im pretty sure I've got 4 you can have ad and im only in Wombourne ?

Wow - lonewolfgjp if this is the sort of camaraderie that Porsche ownership brings, then I've done the right thing! Your a true gentleman! Many thanks. Me and my daily V70 come past wombourne every day on my way to Russell's Hall estate, so this just couldn't be any easier. I'll hesitate from tidying up the 4 silly locking nuts.

Thanks, Ian

1 hour ago, IHC said:

Brake pads are out on all four calipers and I've started taking the yellow back with a wire brush.  

HeMlmT6588T30kZJlXaiiaIexn_E24Y83Up3vjq7

The yellow looks like the original colour of the calipers rather than the result of an earlier refurbishment. It's a colour reserved for Porsche ceramic brakes. Did/does your car have PCBs?

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Tin foil ............I like it 

10 minutes ago, Boxob said:

The yellow looks like the original colour of the calipers rather than the result of an earlier refurbishment. It's a colour reserved for Porsche ceramic brakes. Did/does your car have PCBs?

Not by the look of it! :rolleyes:;)

Just now, Toeside said:

Not by the look of it! :rolleyes:;)

I assume you mean because of the rusty colour? They may have been swapped out earlier? I'm just curious why the callipers were yellow.

3 minutes ago, Boxob said:

I assume you mean because of the rusty colour? They may have been swapped out earlier? I'm just curious why the callipers were yellow.

Good point. Not sure if the rotors are the same dimensions ............ so its not just a straight swap back to normal discs?

13 minutes ago, Toeside said:

Good point. Not sure if the rotors are the same dimensions ............ so its not just a straight swap back to normal discs?

Design911 do a plug and play ceramic brake replacement for the 986. Given the cost of PCBs I can understand why they get swapped out if damaged.

As much as I'd like to say it has ceramic brakes - no their just standard 4 pots on metal.  Not sure even if they did ceramic back in 1997!  Looking at past pictures of the car they appear to have been yellow for a while.  Bit scruffy now and the yellow looked a bit lost, so red will tie in a bit better what with the roof I think.

2 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Yes im a fan of the plastic bolt covers but you do need to get rid of the locking bolt?

35228734451_f41e348de5_b.jpg

I used a Dremel to rub down some of the inner ridges of four of the wheel bolt covers to get them to fit over the locking bolts.

Archived