Loudspeaker replacement

MK986

Hi all,

I want to replace the dashboard loudspeakers. They are 10cm, and mounted in the housing/grill, which isn’t ideal and actually pretty annoying.

There is quite a simple mod I found, and I was wondering if anyone had done anything similar, and/or found a better alternative. 

Cheers for the input!

I've done this and I'd think the majority of 986 owners on here have done it as well or used the custom mounting kit that used to be available on eBay - may still be.  It was quite expensive for a couple of clips basically.  I replaced with a pair of alpine speakers that cost about 40 quid and sound about 40 times better than the Nokia junk. 

@spyderman8 do you have a link to the 'kit'? I've been looking for this and can't seem to find it.

@mike597 did your Alpine speakers power up ok using the CR-22 (I take it you have that Becker radio installed? - I think it's stock). I'm not sure what wattage it kicks out.  I'm slightly concerned I might need a little amp (?)

Thanks for your input.

MK 

13 minutes ago, MK986 said:

@spyderman8 do you have a link to the 'kit'? I've been looking for this and can't seem to find it.

@mike597 did your Alpine speakers power up ok using the CR-22 (I take it you have that Becker radio installed? - I think it's stock). I'm not sure what wattage it kicks out.  I'm slightly concerned I might need a little amp (?)

Thanks for your input.

MK 

I have a becker grand prix which is more or less plug and play replacement for the cr-22.  I have the amp and door speakers as well though do you not have these then? 

@mike597 no I don’t have door speakers, nor an amp. I have a cd changer in the frunk and a Bruce Springsteen cassette in the drive (previous owner‘s). 

So... hoping the Becker have enough power output to power some half decent 2ways

1 hour ago, mike597 said:

I think it'll be fine.  The amp is principally used to drive the door 'sub woofers' I believe.   

I agree. 

Uncle Amazon just dropped of some 2way Kenwood 10cm’s so I’ll keep you all posed how I get on. 

Hi  mk986,

l replaced mine can not remember what speakers l put in but used the existing holders and modified. I am not one for DIY Boxster tasks but this was fairly easy just go for it you will surprise yourself with a little care and save you money. They work great and can not believe that Porsche put such ancient speakers in such a lovely engineered car. Cheers muddy.

I just checked my speakers as I wasn't convinced they were the originals....and they're not :) The mod has already been done as per the video at the top. Alpine speakers haven't been used but I'm happy with the sound so not going to be changing them and will spend the money on something else :D

18 minutes ago, golfprorich said:

I just checked my speakers as I wasn't convinced they were the originals....and they're not :) The mod has already been done as per the video at the top. Alpine speakers haven't been used but I'm happy with the sound so not going to be changing them and will spend the money on something else :D

Believe me you would know if they were the originals :lol:

Just now, Grizzlee said:

Believe me you would know if they were the originals :lol:

So I've heard!! I suppose that the Alpines would be see a slight upgrade on what's in there now but I really don't see the point. The money saved on speakers will go towards the front bumper repaint :)

2 minutes ago, golfprorich said:

So I've heard!! I suppose that the Alpines would be see a slight upgrade on what's in there now but I really don't see the point. The money saved on speakers will go towards the front bumper repaint :)

Sounds like a plan!

You don't need to do any soldering. The sockets moulded into the speaker housings are standard VW speaker connectors which can be purchased from ebay for a couple of quid. I cut the socket off and replaced with these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Volkswagen-Golf-MK2-Speaker-Adaptor-Adapter-Plug-Leads-Cable-Connector/253262431939?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2018-01-04 14.16.41.jpg

Archived