Advice on new exhaust

siddleg

Hi 

I'm fairly new to boxster ownership and finding myself needing a new exhaust system who do you recommend? I'm thinking manifolds, sport cats etc but not sure who to trust as lots on eBay that seem reasonably priced then design 911 seem a bit expensive.

Help 

thanks in advance 

I haven’t tried them personally but intend too but I have heard from others on here that you can’t go far wrong with a system or backbox from Carnewal.  The Carnewal GT system is really reasonable too and based on an exchange with your original back box

They cheapy eBay manifolds are fine. Used now on both my Boxsters since 2012. 

11 hours ago, siddleg said:

Hi 

I'm fairly new to boxster ownership and finding myself needing a new exhaust system who do you recommend? I'm thinking manifolds, sport cats etc but not sure who to trust as lots on eBay that seem reasonably priced then design 911 seem a bit expensive.

Help 

thanks in advance 

What have you got on now? What type of driving do you do?  Is the existing exhaust too quiet, too loud, to droney  etc etc?.

So that the headers taken care of then if the eBay one's are ok.

The existing exhaust/cat is leaking bringing up a warning light so need to go. System is original to car apart from the o2 sensors. 

I would like to buy a full system so then it's done it's just which to get and where from main requirement is that it's not too loud. 

36 minutes ago, Saxosim said:

Does anyone make a valve switchable system for the 986 so you have the option of normal or insane mode?

I love the idea of having an ‘insane’ button on the dash ?

There are some mentions on Design 911... for example...

EXHAUST MUFFLER / SILENCER SPORT OE STYLE WITH ADJUSTABLE SOUND VALVES. PORSCHE 986 BOXSTER

Code: 98622094335SSOUND

Back on my PC so I could get a link more easily...

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod129782/Exhaust-Muffler---Silencer-Sport-OE-Style-with-adjustable-sound-valves-Porsche-986-Boxster/

2 hours ago, rowbos said:

EXHAUST MUFFLER / SILENCER SPORT OE STYLE WITH ADJUSTABLE SOUND VALVES. PORSCHE 986 BOXSTER

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod129782/Exhaust-Muffler---Silencer-Sport-OE-Style-with-adjustable-sound-valves-Porsche-986-Boxster/

one on ebay  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-Boxster-986-Sports-Exhaust-Backbox-S444DBS/273111175044?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

5 hours ago, rowbos said:

Thanks looks great but wow £1500 for the kit before it’s been fitted, possibly s bit rich for me. Does anyone else make one?

11 minutes ago, Saxosim said:

Thanks looks great but wow £1500 for the kit before it’s been fitted, possibly s bit rich for me. Does anyone else make one?

I know! 

@Russ_S can you recommend anything along these lines for a 986?

I noticed not much mention of being careful of drone.  Many if the aftermarket exhaust have a drone in the cruising range between 2k to 3k rpm.

I havent changed yet but I plan on doing fvd brombacher sound version, hearing good things and no drone.  But pretty expensive.

• 1 month later...

Quick update so I opted for a toyo sport s/s cat back system won on eBay and even though the mechanic who fitted it moaned and groaned about it not fitting great it sounds awesome, looks good and was good value for money so overall I'm happy with it and my original box was split at the seams. 

Unfortunately the engine management light has come back on so the cat must be passed it was hoping the split back box was the culprit given its throwing up post cat lambda. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7 May 2018 at 4:33 PM, RickLS7 said:

Did you fit new O2 sensors?  If not then one (or more) are probably knackered.

I did renew the 02 sensor was the first thing I tried so I'm going to have the codes read again to double check before a buy a new cat from cats direct I think I spotted one £126 type approved. 

13 hours ago, siddleg said:

I did renew the 02 sensor was the first thing I tried so I'm going to have the codes read again to double check before a buy a new cat from cats direct I think I spotted one £126 type approved. 

I recently had a similar issue with my 2004 2.7 replaced the both O2 sensors on bank 2 but still got the CEL a few days later.

It may be down to an air leak on the inlet side, check the ducting around the throttle body and the small vacuum pipes connected into the plenum before spending too much money

On 5/6/2018 at 10:55 PM, siddleg said:

Quick update so I opted for a toyo sport s/s cat back system won on eBay and even though the mechanic who fitted it moaned and groaned about it not fitting great it sounds awesome, looks good and was good value for money so overall I'm happy with it and my original box was split at the seams. 

Unfortunately the engine management light has come back on so the cat must be passed it was hoping the split back box was the culprit given its throwing up post cat lambda. 

I went for the same and overall I’m happy with it. You do get a slight drone around 2/3k revs but I find with the roof down it’s not as bad. The sound it makes when you open it up is more than worth it, I love it. I found it was harder to get the old back box off than fit the new back box, I found the fit very good on mine, just about to replace the exhaust manifolds next for stainless ones (I have the manifolds, just need the time to change them). 

I didn’t have any issues with my exhaust, I just wanted it louder??

I hope you’re enjoying the Boxster. 

Archived