Gear box/diff oil how to guide?

siddleg

I was wanting to renew the gear oil/diff oil in my 2002 2.7 does anyone know of any how to guides anywhere?

i can't be sure when they was last changed so for piece of mind wanted to replace it. 

Thanks in advance 

I did this job a couple of months ago for the first time. Pretty straight forward with youtube help. Most time consuming bit was removing panels and cross members from underside. I put in roughly what came out (2,8 litres) and you can check the level with a bent paper clip. I used Porsche fluid and was fortunate in that they duffed up their price calculation of my 3 litres,  (based on a 208 litre barrel price). Think it only cost me about £6 a litre!

On 25 April 2018 at 6:42 PM, the baron said:

How often should this be done?

I think every 12 years / 80k miles - at least that is what the 987 is.

Phoned my OPC to enquire on a major service cost for this year & was told my gearbox oil change was due. I haven't had a quote yet but a  quick internet search shows a menu price for Porsche to do it at £158 for the 6 speed box, £139 for the 5 speed box.

I had mine done at 11 years old on my 987.1 - CPS sorted it.  I can’t remember the cost.  Not a lot I think. 

I also had this done on my 987.2 PDK when I first got it.  At 6 years old.  Again CPS. Bit more of a faff but at least I know it’s sorted.  

1 hour ago, Boxstercol said:

I think every 12 years / 80k miles - at least that is what the 987 is.

Phoned my OPC to enquire on a major service cost for this year & was told my gearbox oil change was due. I haven't had a quote yet but a  quick internet search shows a menu price for Porsche to do it at £158 for the 6 speed box, £139 for the 5 speed box.

My local OPC want a shade over £200 to change gearbox oil on my 5 speed box.

Hmmmm...

It is one of the easiest DIY jobs around and it gives you an opportunity to check the oil for metal debris and to replace the standard drain plug with a magnetic drain plug. I did it on my 2004 S early this spring and was happy to only see a thin film of dark magnetic sludge on the drain plug. You do need a pump to fill the new fluid and on the 5 speed its a bit of a PITA to check the level because it has to be below the bottom of the fill hole. On the S you simply fill until it starts dripping out of the fill hole. While you are there check the CV boots.

Archived