How I think a fifteen year old Boxster compare with modern machines

huytonman

I've had a multitude of Porsches since buying my first, a 944T in 1993. The first Boxster was from 1999 and that was very briefly replaced by a brand new 986S in 2003 that I had to hand back to the dealer within a week due to redundancies at the company that I worked for. I then had a mix of 911's with a CaymanS thrown into the mix but went back to Boxsters in 2010 with a 2006 987 3.2S, then this was followed by three 981's (Manual and PDK) with a 2010 987 3.4S in the middle of the 981's. To cut a long story short, my redundancy and frustration with depreciation got me into a couple of Z4's (the last an E89 3.5iS, the 340BHP model) but i couldnt get my head around the chassis (or unreliability) and decided to move back to Porsche but without a huge investment. This is where my 986S comes in, bought in January, its a 2003 facelift with 33k miles on the clock and is in great condition.

Over the winter it was on SORN during which time I worked on the paintwork and fitted an OBC and Cruise plus a few other jobs. Come May I taxed the car and had my first long drive since collecting the car (all Mway home so not a good test) last Friday. I wasnt really sure how the car would feel following the modern Boxsters that Ive recently had and have been very pleasantly surprised. The chassis feels incredibly well balanced and "alive" but not as nervous as my last 987S and the engine has more character than that car. The 981S is obviously a lot quicker (as is the 987) but that car always felt inert and heavy to me especially the steering. The brakes were a bit of a shock initially with lack of initial bite but once used to them they stop the car in a decent way; the acceleration feels "brisk" rather than really quick but its more than adequate and the howl from the engine as it gets through 7k RPM is a joy. The gear change isnt the best but again its just a question of getting used to it and the ride is perfectly acceptable on the 18" wheels. I was also a bit worried about cabin space, Im 6'1" with 34" legs but no issues or a sore back (something that was always an issue for me with the 981's).

Im not kidding myself that this car is as good as a modern Porsche, its not, but its also not disgracing itself and provides just as much pleasure to me in a different way and at a much lower price, so I'm very happy with my decision, if anybody else is in a similar position I would recommend searching for a good 986S and just enjoy the experience.

Keith

Good write up from someone who has been round a lot of blocks with the Boxster. Thank you?

I understand your perspective. You enjoy a car for what is and the quirks they all have give character. I like having a fun car thats a bit older and less common and take some pride and pleasure investing time and cash to ensure it looks good and goes well, on a budget too boot. The maintainece on a 15 year old car wont be as bad as the depreciation on a much newer one I tell myself. My only issue with the older car is despite care, things can break suddenly and as I take it to Europe a couple of times a year that is a slight concern. In an ideal wotld I would have a 986 and a 981. Enjoy the car ?

Yep yep yep...

echoing all sentiments above (except having a 981) I agree entirely but I add into the fold, the 2.5 and 2.7 boxsters. I’ve had an S briefly and find all the points you make about enjoying bargain basement Porsche products extend to the lower horse power cars. Bags of fun to be had in non precious metal. 

Get in and drive! 

My 2.5 Tip is probably the least powerful of all the Boxsters and yet it is a joy to drive (especially with it's newly installed flappy paddles?) as you are really wringing every last BHP out of it and just bury the accelerator pedal. It's the same with my 107, great fun to drive on the limit. I may well buy a later, more powerful Boxster at some stage just to see how they compare, but will probably keep the 2.5.

For £3.5k I can't think of a better all round car for weekend hooning in the sunshine. Clearly if it was an everyday driver then other factors come into play, such as motorway cruising and sitting in traffic  and then a 981/718 would be easier to live with.

GT0Fnzj.jpg

Yep totally agree, Ive had a lot of nice cars over the years, mailnly Porsches, never had a Boxster before but as I was living in London at the time I didn’t want anything to expensive as it would be living on the streets, small investment huge smiles, one of the biggest factors for me was not having to worry about it, 5 yrs later it lives in a a garage it’s still my daily drive and I’m still thoroughly enjoying the car, I’ve now spent quite a bit getting it right as I know its a keeper, it’s done 192k, it had 140k on the clock when I bought it.

On 5/6/2018 at 7:16 PM, Topbox said:

I understand your perspective. You enjoy a car for what is and the quirks they all have give character. I like having a fun car thats a bit older and less common and take some pride and pleasure investing time and cash to ensure it looks good and goes well, on a budget too boot. The maintainece on a 15 year old car wont be as bad as the depreciation on a much newer one I tell myself. My only issue with the older car is despite care, things can break suddenly and as I take it to Europe a couple of times a year that is a slight concern. In an ideal wotld I would have a 986 and a 981. Enjoy the car ?

Hi Topbox

I'm thinking about a trip to Tuscany later in the year. What you recommend I do before I go (I was thinking a full service with new fluids & plugs....) 2002 986S

Great write up!

I feel I may finally go the same way having had only 987's to date and unsure if I will tread into 981 territory.

Having driven a 986, and being accompanied mainly by a selection of 986's on weekend outings, I have no doubt about the desirability and capability of a first generation Boxster.

I often feel that this is where I should have started but I'm pretty certain I will enjoy the journey just as much this way round.

14 hours ago, the baron said:

Yep totally agree, Ive had a lot of nice cars over the years, mailnly Porsches, never had a Boxster before but as I was living in London at the time I didn’t want anything to expensive as it would be living on the streets, small investment huge smiles, one of the biggest factors for me was not having to worry about it, 5 yrs later it lives in a a garage it’s still my daily drive and I’m still thoroughly enjoying the car, I’ve now spent quite a bit getting it right as I know its a keeper, it’s done 192k, it had 140k on the clock when I bought it.

Now that is serious miles, the level I generally only associate with drivers in the States given the general fear over here of cars with miles on, 100k+ seems to spell seller death! If you havent done so already Im sure there would be plenty on here who would love to know what your motor has had done over the years to keep it on the road. Not exactly the same thing but reminds me of the time I was driving to Tel Aviv airport and I noticed that the taxi odometer was reading around 900k even though we were doing around 130kM/hour, I mentioned it to the driver who very proudly told me nothing had broken, same engine and gearbox etc and then he corrected himself and apologized because the instrument pack had failed at around 450km and this was a replacement..so total distance close to 1.4Mkm..that car was also made in Stuttgart but it had a three pointed star on the bonnet!

1 hour ago, mattomg said:

Hi Topbox

I'm thinking about a trip to Tuscany later in the year. What you recommend I do before I go (I was thinking a full service with new fluids & plugs....) 2002 986S

I think you have it covered but also get your trusted indie to give the car a goods check over including tyres, they may spot some things that are in danger of failing and sorting it now could save you hassle on the trip and dont forget the emergency kit, spare bulbs etc, I dont know what the requirements are for Italy but better safe than sorry..The only other thing that I would suggest is to invest in a steering wheel lock e.g. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/95031/best-steering-wheel-locks,  I bought a disklok when I had a defender and its now sitting in the boot of my M5 based on advice from the salesman who was an ex-copper, not a lot of money but a good visual deterrent..takes up a fair amount of storage space though!

Archived