roof tension rope/string

TV8

My roof has decided to go up with string poking out of the runners. ☹️

in fact, just like the first pictures in this posting -  http://911car.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/porsche-boxster-987-convertible-top.html 

Does anyone have any more detail on the part required and how it weaves its way through the roof of the 987? The 1st part of this article sums up the problem but it doesnt have any detail on how or what parts of required. I am sure you can add some elastic or similar to fix the existing one but even allowing for the inevitable Porsche premium, it looks like a part that should be replaced with a genuine part..

Thanks in advance

This is really straight forward and I have had to do it to both sides of my hood. Put the hood half way back in Velcro the lining, reach down unscrew the elastic strip from the frame (a bit tricky ) move the strip to the next hole which then males the strip more taught, screw back into the frame, velcro lining back into position, job done, takes 10 mins each side. Hope that helps

11 hours ago, Tomkew said:

This is really straight forward and I have had to do it to both sides of my hood. Put the hood half way back in Velcro the lining, reach down unscrew the elastic strip from the frame (a bit tricky ) move the strip to the next hole which then males the strip more taught, screw back into the frame, velcro lining back into position, job done, takes 10 mins each side. Hope that helps

Thanks for the response but this is not the elastic Velcro connection behind the A pillar. This is the string type thing above your head in the roof lining. 

14 hours ago, Greenman said:

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/37597-soft-top-problem-cordrope-broken/

Have  you seen above thread? Does provide a bit more info.

I have not seen this thread and the routing of the string is more complicated than expected! That said, it would explain the slack that has appeared from no where. I will need to have another proper look at the car at the weekend. 

Thank you. 

There appears to be (at least) a couple of strings in the roof and the one that had snapped connects to the frame near where the roof guides separate as the roof folds. A quick couple of crimp connectors and it all seems to be fixed.. not sure if it routes over or under the frame though??

I think it's called the tension rope (987 561 773 01 Tension rope) and is in three parts ie a central elastic piece crimped to a rope at each end which is then screwed to the frame. It runs in a fabric "tube" that is part of the hood lining. I fixed mine when one of the crimps pulled off and used an old flyrod tip to guide some string thru the tube to pull it back thru. Hope that helps. Ian

1 hour ago, petrolhead2 said:

I think it's called the tension rope (987 561 773 01 Tension rope) and is in three parts ie a central elastic piece crimped to a rope at each end which is then screwed to the frame. It runs in a fabric "tube" that is part of the hood lining. I fixed mine when one of the crimps pulled off and used an old flyrod tip to guide some string thru the tube to pull it back thru. Hope that helps. Ian

Hi Ian,

thanks for the response and the part number. It is exactly that part and I have fixed it and pulled it through the tube in the hood lining. I am not sure if it goes under or over the hood frame or not to screw into the frame?

I have been following this thread as my roof was out of the channel on one side yesterday. I didn't notice it when i washed the car a couple of days ago so it seemed to have occurred during driving. No change despite opening/closing a couple of times during the day. So today i carried out an inspection, expecting a broken cable or whatever. Opened the roof to various stages, pulled on various cords, cables, textile flaps etc on either side but no obvious breakages so closed up and hey presto it's fixed! Even opened and closed again to check. Very mysterious. 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:49 AM, Tomkew said:

Mine was looking the same as in your photo @TV8 the other day, and I did as @Tomkew above suggested before I seen this thread and mine went back into place easy, you may have a broken tie/string somewhere but if I was you I'd try the fix above first.

Guvs.

3 hours ago, Guvs said:

Mine was looking the same as in your photo @TV8 the other day, and I did as @Tomkew above suggested before I seen this thread and mine went back into place easy, you may have a broken tie/string somewhere but if I was you I'd try the fix above first.

Guvs.

Thanks Guys, how are you?

if it was just going up out of the runners I would have sorted the elastic at the sides but I had a loop of string poking out like the second photo and all is fixed (or was when I used the car at the weekend!). They do look a bit fiddly in there....

9 hours ago, TV8 said:

Thanks Guys, how are you?

if it was just going up out of the runners I would have sorted the elastic at the sides but I had a loop of string poking out like the second photo and all is fixed (or was when I used the car at the weekend!). They do look a bit fiddly in there....

:rolleyes: I only seen the first photo and thought "that's like mine was" it's only now I've scrolled down to the 2nd photo, I can see it now, mine wasn't like that (thank good) it was an easy fix as Tomkew's was by the sound of it.

Guvs.

On 5/14/2018 at 1:57 PM, red rocket said:

I have been following this thread as my roof was out of the channel on one side yesterday. I didn't notice it when i washed the car a couple of days ago so it seemed to have occurred during driving. No change despite opening/closing a couple of times during the day. So today i carried out an inspection, expecting a broken cable or whatever. Opened the roof to various stages, pulled on various cords, cables, textile flaps etc on either side but no obvious breakages so closed up and hey presto it's fixed! Even opened and closed again to check. Very mysterious. 

I had the same issue - I think.  Occasionally the roof sits in the gutter above the rear of the window?  If so, it’ll be the elastic strip that’s run out of elasticity.  It pulls the roof inwards as the roof closes.  Easy fix.  Got elastic strip from eBay and re-sewed in a new one.....?

• 2 weeks later...

I got lucky with still having extended Porsche warranty on my 09 car. 

The elastics has failed so the roof sat outside the gutters. Replacing the elastics is “not aPorsche approved repair” so they replaced the entire roof under the warranty. 

16 hours ago, Willemite said:

I got lucky with still having extended Porsche warranty on my 09 car. 

The elastics has failed so the roof sat outside the gutters. Replacing the elastics is “not aPorsche approved repair” so they replaced the entire roof under the warranty. 

Bloody Hell, I would say that was a bit of an overkill, good result for you though.

Guvs.

Archived