Loan car

edge

Took my Porsche into the OPC for some work and they gave me a 718 Boxster to use while they had my car. So in the past I have owned a 986s, a 987 gen2 s  and a 981s and enjoyed them all . This is my first experience in a 718 and wasn't sure what to expect from a 2 litre turbo based car. Well fek me what a pocket rocket , I couldn't believe the power this thing had , it pulls like a train all the way up to the legal limit and beyond on.a private road of course. The car is equipped with what I think the call sport plus which gave me a little dial from which you can select the various driving modes, turned it to sport plus and gave it the beans , fantastic. Forget about the four cylinders, forget about the exhaust note just feel the power it's glorious which begs the question What's the 718 GTS like?

2 hours ago, edge said:

Took my Porsche into the OPC for some work and they gave me a 718 Boxster to use while they had my car. So in the past I have owned a 986s, a 987 gen2 s  and a 981s and enjoyed them all . This is my first experience in a 718 and wasn't sure what to expect from a 2 litre turbo based car. Well fek me what a pocket rocket , I couldn't believe the power this thing had , it pulls like a train all the way up to the legal limit and beyond on.a private road of course. The car is equipped with what I think the call sport plus which gave me a little dial from which you can select the various driving modes, turned it to sport plus and gave it the beans , fantastic. Forget about the four cylinders, forget about the exhaust note just feel the power it's glorious which begs the question What's the 718 GTS like?

Sport Chrono.

I have it on my 718. It is mega in sport plus mode.

If you can get over the fact that the car no longer has a six cylinder engine and appreciate the performance then I think you will quickly realise what a fantastic car this is. I soon forgot all about that stuff and enjoyed one of the best drives I've had for a long time ragging it through the country lanes . Going to blag an extended drive in an S model when I take this back .

Blimey Dave, you've not given up your licence yet then? :licki: 

I drive the 718 and 718S back to back on a test with Porsche Tonbridge. I only really didn't like the four-pot at low engine speeds and we all know the solution to that problem. :plane:

For the record I now have a 987.2S - one of those with the 4x4 suspension. ;) 

11 hours ago, Araf said:

Blimey Dave, you've not given up your licence yet then? :licki: 

I drive the 718 and 718S back to back on a test with Porsche Tonbridge. I only really didn't like the four-pot at low engine speeds and we all know the solution to that problem. :plane:

For the record I now have a 987.2S - one of those with the 4x4 suspension. ;) 

Haha , I live in Devon now and you don't need a licence here. It's been a while mate , hope everything is good with you and yours. This loan car is a deep red ( not guards ) and it really looks lovely , I am really tempted to get back into a Boxster again but fek me it rains a lot down here. You still racing?

18 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

They really are so driveable in the real world. Gear changes? Nah - no need. Just put your foot down in any gear and watch the speedo fly up the range.

Did you drive the two litre ? If so did you notice much of a performance improvement with the two and a half litre?

26 minutes ago, edge said:

Did you drive the two litre ? If so did you notice much of a performance improvement with the two and a half litre?

No - I had a loaner once but it was a PDK 2.5. My comment was more about the turbo engine which pulls like a train in any gear. My last F6 needed to be at about 5,000 rpm before the banshees got loose.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:33 AM, edge said:

You still racing?

Still doing track days in the car.  I was flirting with racing cars this year but other things have got in the way.  I gave up racing bikes 13 years ago.

As for the rain in Devon, you can drive with the roof up, on a Boxster, you know. ;) 

14 minutes ago, Araf said:

As for the rain in Devon, you can drive with the roof up, on a Boxster, you know. ;) 

Agreed. Though I draw the line at hail - I got caught in a massive hail storm on the way back from a meet at Cheddar a couple of months ago - by the time I was able to put the roof up my black interior was white ?

2 hours ago, wulfy66 said:

i was given this one when i took my 997.2 in for a service, loved it (the sound was beginning to grow on me by the end of the day)

Miami Blue Boxster S

Miami Blue is my new favourite car colour.

Principally because my 718 is Miami Blue. :)

5 hours ago, Waxy said:

Having had a 718 Cayman GTS for a weekend I can tell you that it has ferocious power!!

So during the course of my reading  up on these cars it would seem to me that Porsche have relaxed the performance demarcation between the Boxster,Cayman and 911. In the real world the Boxster S and GTS are matching the likes of the Gt4 and base Carrara all bar a  few tenths (Source info Chris Harris testing the 917S and Ignition on YouTube)

i would love to have a GTS for a weekend test, what is it 365bhp ? If I remember correctly my old 981 S was around 330bhp and that was quick so I can imagine the GTS must be quicker still.Happy days.

Archived