Where to check for vacuum leak? Any common places?

Sonic909

Got a MAF sensor error code (no check light though) and a hesitant acceleration.

About to fit a new MAF (cba with cleaning it 104k miles)

Is there any common failure areas to check for vacuum leaks whilst I’m there.

(2.5 1999my)

First places to check:

Intake pipe - I've seen many with loose clips at the MAF or not correctly secured at the throttle body.

Next is the horizontal pipes between the intake manifolds  - very easy to not get a seal all the way round.

After that it's the silly small pipes that will perish over time, or just get dislodged by a clumsy grease monkey

Was there any work recently done on the top of the engine? Most often the MAF is not really a MAF failure but one of the inputs to the ECU is out of spec and the ECU reports the code as being MAF because some other variable is causing the imbalance. Info on how the MAF works here.

On 5/16/2018 at 2:59 PM, Patt said:

First places to check:

Intake pipe - I've seen many with loose clips at the MAF or not correctly secured at the throttle body.

Next is the horizontal pipes between the intake manifolds  - very easy to not get a seal all the way round.

After that it's the silly small pipes that will perish over time, or just get dislodged by a clumsy grease monkey

Good check list 

• 3 weeks later...

So the hose clip after the MAF had rusted right through and was just hanging like an essex birds hoop earing!

someone gave me a new Bosch MAF so that went on too... 

driveslike a different car now! Pulls harder and smoother! 

Cheers guys

On 6/2/2018 at 1:21 AM, Sonic909 said:

So the hose clip after the MAF had rusted right through and was just hanging like an essex birds hoop earing!

someone gave me a new Bosch MAF so that went on too... 

driveslike a different car now! Pulls harder and smoother! 

Cheers guys

Luck,y its not usually such an easy fix, well done

Archived