3.2s dumped it's load.........

Thehighlander

I'm back, you may remember my budget buy 2003 2.7 with 174 thousand miles on it.

Kept it till Xmas when the wife was pregnant then sold it for a Impreza STI which i got bored of really quick, things took a downturn and my wife is now not pregnant this happend 2 days before we were meant to go to the Maldives in April for a babymoon, it was devastating, so to brighten things up last weekend I bought another Boxster, took me hours of nosing about but found a 2001 3.2s with 100k on it, private plate, all the extras in dark blue with FSH and a respray last year in it's factory colour... Done 700miles since last weekend in it faultlessly.

Fast forward to today and to add to my week of misery the Boxster dumped it's coolant on the road in town.

All I heard was "Hey Mr Porsche your car is p*ssing on the road"

Temp never went up much but when i popped the boot there was loads of condesation in the boot lid etc which was strange, all the coolant came out from behind the drivers rear wheel a wee pipe hanging down.

Anyway It happened outside my Football Clubs social club so limped it into the carpark and then filled it with water, it started bubbling over when i left the cap off but assume it was letting air out.

I then left it a while, refilled it and it went back to normal, no overheating (it didn't anyway) no overflow.

Got the wife to meet me and she followed me the 25miles home and the car has not missed a beat, left it idling outside for near an hour and the fans kick on and off, not used any coolant or anything like that.

Anyway I'm meant to be going to Cape Verde tomorrow but the wife has taken very ill and is also in hospital so we have had to cancel our holiday. Arrrrggggggjhhhhhhhhhh

I was fearing for my Boxsters life but i'm hoping it just "dropped a bollock" briefly.

Bad luck on the home from but wish you all the best. Boxster sounds like either a failed cap or water pump. It could be a cracked header tank. If you can remove the covers you may still see some residue where a week has been present. If not then a pressure test will do the job. 

You will need to bleed and bent hhe tank if you have just topped up. 

Thanks lads will do that now.

As I say i left the cap off for a good few mins and it bubbled the air out, refitting it and drove it home at a pretty fast speed and now no issues.

I will need to take the water out tomorrow and refill with coolant so will do all that then.

Could of also been the cap not sat correctly... 

Hopefully you've managed to sort it, if in doubt you can bleed the coolant system to make sure there's no trapped air in there but if there was a serious problem I would have thought that it would have re-occured by now. I had a similar situation with my 3.2S 986 6 years ago, day I pulled up at home after buying it and driving home it dumped coolant all over the road, from the exact same location, and that was due to a faulty coolant cap (was still original), maybe order a new one for peace of mind, they're not expensive.

Hopefully things improve going forwards luck wise, all the best and hopefully you get to enjoy the new Boxster hassle free.

Mine did this too just after I first got it, it dumped most of the coolant out of the overflow pipe next to the rear wheel in my work car park.  Sounded like an elephant having a p*ss.  On mine it turned out to be the thermostat not working properly, pump was fine so it was replaced with a lower temp one.  Watch out for airlocks in system too after you replace the water for coolant as they are a pig to bleed.  If you briefly take off the coolant cap and the oil cap and then lift off the black surround cover you can lift the pressure relief valve to help bleed the system.  You will notice some condensation on the boot lid as this is from the pressure release valve.  Mine was then taken for a dam good blast and after a few more drives and top up of coolant the system settled down.    As others also said check the part no on the cap.  The 04 caps are only about £18 from OPC so may be worth changing anyway as I did.  Good luck with it.

Checked my cap and it's an 04 cap. 

I have bled it and driven it a total of 60miles with no issue or coolant use.

I'm going to buy coolant tomorrow as just used water to see if there was an issues. Doing a 300mile journey Sunday. 

Sorry to hear about your home problems - hope things get better! 

Regarding the Boxster, you'll be relieved to know its not uncommon to buy a Boxster and have it pee itself after a few weeks of buying it. Mine needed a new water pump, so if it does it again and you coolant tank looks OK - id bet a new water pump will be required. 

7 minutes ago, Thehighlander said:

I've ordered a new water pump/thermostat and gasket that arrives Monday just to be safe.

Good luck with the car and best wishes to you and your wife. 

You might also check on the condition of your coolant vent/purge valve: the one beside the coolant fill cap that you use to burp the engine. I had one split down the middle at the track causing a coolant dump and an immediate spin! Coolant is slippery! There are also some o-rings under there that wear and can cause unpredictable p*ssing of coolant. Easy and inexpensive fix.

There’s a thread on here from RAV re a similar issues his was the header tank, a pig of a job but can be done at home, Sorry to hear your home front woes.

Cheers lads.

Well got some coolant. Drained the old stuff out. Filled her up. Left the coolant cap off, heaters on full and bleed clip up.

Waiting for it to bubble over and fans kick in. Took it a hard thrash then topped it up.

Looks to be problem solved. 

Scary but happy. 

Further update.

Done another 50miles of hard driving and no issue.

Only thing I noticed was a hissing from the bleed valve when in the down position, lifted it up and it hissed a wee bit and stopped.

Assume that's letting more air out the system. All seems well tho, temp just above 80, warm heaters, no coolant leaks or usage.

Roll on tomorrow

Yes that’s normal it’s just getting air out of the system.  Sounds like you have been lucky if the levels are stable and no more temp issues.  Probably worth fitting the low temp thermostat anyway when it arrives.

Archived