Towing a Tiptronic.

JohnnyUK

Thankfully I have not had to have a car towed for over 30 years....but! If the Boxster lets me down, how should I tow it? In neutral? Is it possible at all? Ignition on or not?  Recommendations please. ?

I buy  near full (no home start if I can't sort it on the drive they can't) RAC cover using my Tesco vouchers, cheap as chips because luckily being fat I eat a lot and drink lots of beer so get lots of Clubcard points ?

I don't think towing an automatic is a problem as such it's towing any car with powered steering and you have not got the front wheels off the ground.

I know you can't bump start an automatic which is where the confusion may come from.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, Darkstar said:

I don't think towing an automatic is a problem as such it's towing any car with powered steering and you have not got the front wheels off the ground.

I know you can't bump start an automatic which is where the confusion may come from.

Thanks.... Any more for able to tow? and is so I guess it would be in neutral.? 

Update... 30mph max and 30 miles max. Ignition on and box in Neutral. ? 

My old 530d broke down a few years back. The AA guy said they never tow automatics. Always put on a low loader. Can't imagine their advice would be any different for an auto Porsche

7 hours ago, Pinewood said:

My old 530d broke down a few years back. The AA guy said they never tow automatics. Always put on a low loader. Can't imagine their advice would be any different for an auto Porsche

It's covered in the manual. There is a warning regarding potential damage to the auto box as the engine is not turning, hence the limited mileage. 

Always on a flatbed,  never picked up by either end. I used to have a link to the instructions the towing services used in the states, unfortunately it was at one of those lost web sites.

Back in my yoof, my metro packed up and a friend drove the 45 miles to come and tow me home. Not fun at the end of a tow-rope

When the garage got the car I'd effectively welded one of the shafts to the casing as I'd not had the engine running and so there was no oil going round the 'box.

I am sure our friends in Stuttgart are more sophisticated than Longbridge's finest but... That said, my sister had a wishbone break on here '95 Cl-class today and that's def being flat-bedded

Archived