Roof doesn't fully open

mk1max

Hello,

I've been looking at a 986 Boxster S and there are a few issues which it needs sorting. One of them is that the roof doesn't fully open; it gets most of the way but the last couple of inches require a bit of manual persuasion (pushing down!). Is there a known cause/fix for this?

Thanks!

Hmmm! I'd be giving it a wide berth if it were me!

It could be either of the above problems. If it's an aftermarket hood then I've no idea although the Carhood/BAS ones are supposed to be fine.

It's more likely down to adjustment, this could be a number of things, individually or a combination of. Push rods, drive gears and cables and V levers all have to be correct to the mm each side for it to sit down perfectly flush. Even the little stoppers under the clamshell must line up right. It's a right royal PITA to be honest although I got there in the end.

Thanks both! Gosh, I was thinking it'd be something simple but it sounds like the adjustment is very fiddly to get right! Especially if that's enough of a warning for you to say you'd give it a wide berth...

Is it for sale at a garage? Maybe get them to look at it? I'm sure I'm not the first one to have trouble, it's just it took A LOT of trial and error to get it right. I now feel like I'm an expert on the 986's roof haha. 

There tons of Boxsters out there for sale, it depends how much it bothers you and if the rest of the car stacks up in it's favour. 

No, it's a private sale, but I kind of know the car which helps a bit.

I've just seen your thread on your broken roof and the how-to on the roof tension cable replacement; it does indeed look fiddly. Luckily I'm relatively comfortable working on the car myself (apart from massive jobs!) but had wondered how much work was involved in repairs on the roof mechanism in cases such as this. Food for thought!

To be honest the tension cable job was a bigger job if you like, as you have to strip the canvas back.

The parts for the roof mech arn't horrifically complicated it's just getting the adjustment right. Meno has nailed it, deffo lots of time and patience.

All in all in it cost me no more than about £60 in parts. 

Mines been in manual mode ever since I bought the car. Would be even better with a glass rear screen as would not have to p*ss about with the boxster chop, which sort of defeats the object of having a powered roof. I do like wind up windows though as well. 

Archived