Don’t they just sound great - Col du Torini

Buzzlt

Nope I made a bespoke bracket(S) bolted to the two engine covers. But it’s in about that area. However also put it on a telescopic pole so you can poke it out the top or rear view. Still wobbles though so going to do a plan B sometime. Image stabilisation on the Hero 6 is incredible though a bit freaky as it kind of follows the road somehow !

Wind deflector flexes enough to make unviable at speed, I have one mounted on the rear drivers side headrest side, pointing backwards, even so I've knocked the camera lens and the high speed flex of the deflector has drummed the focus out, had to get another lens (Innovv C3).

If you were to mount one on some kind of central 'stick' - have a look at https://uk.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_621510.html - it's not intended as a carcam but a 4k 360 degree camera for £175 can't be bad, it's a square black camera with back to back 190 degree lenses and the built in software merges the views gining 360 cover.

12 hours ago, Buzzlt said:

Nope I made a bespoke bracket(S) bolted to the two engine covers. But it’s in about that area. However also put it on a telescopic pole so you can poke it out the top or rear view. Still wobbles though so going to do a plan B sometime. Image stabilisation on the Hero 6 is incredible though a bit freaky as it kind of follows the road somehow !

Really interested in making something .... Got a pic of the bracket?

3 hours ago, Nath said:

That sounds great!  Is that with an external mic and if so where did you mount it? I struggle to get good audio with my 3 in the standard case.

Yes but I found a Sennheiser EW300 lapel mic kit with a receiver in the shed. All I wanted to do was reduce the gain of the mic as plugging in direct with my exhaust does not work (too loud). It’s a rather extravagant way of doing it and cannot see the point of buying one although sound quality is exceptional. The mic was mounted behind the rear spoiler in a rabbits fur thing that came with one of the other Lavalier mics I tried. I then left the rear spoiler up although it made little difference. The experiments will continue at some point. The mic could be plugged in direct which would be better as anything plugged into the car can introduce interference. Charging the Go Pro while recording does not work with the external mic kit unless you use a separate external battery. The dongle thing on the Hero 6 is rubbish and the mic lead kept falling out so I also need to find a better solution for this. Let me know if you find a good spot but suspect it will be decibel dependant. I think I made a 40dB reduction to avoid clipping !

On 6/22/2018 at 1:33 AM, Pinewood said:

Really interested in making something .... Got a pic of the bracket?

Here to go https://flic.kr/p/25TNamS

The first one I made was too low. This one brings it forward a bit so you see less of the driver. I think ideally it could do with being a couple of inches higher. Also made one out of a telescopic selfie stick by using an L bracket at the bottom to connect the 1/4 inch thread and  another jubilee clipped part way up. All still a bit unstable and planning to use two brackets at the top next time maybe in an A frame arrangement. Might be a bit tricky to make though as the engine top cover bolts are recessed.

That's clever and means no vibration from the persplex wind deflector. I see your point about a 3 legged tripod configuration being more stable. Now I finally know what to do with the selfie stick that came in my gopro bracket bundle ?

Archived