Knocking tapping coming from engine when accelaratiing

the baron

Noticed this morning when cold and hot a knocking/tapping coming from the engine when driving, its ok at idle, there’s no loss of power, no smoking, just this knocking.

Should i fear the worst, it has done 194k?

On further inspection it doesn’t look like the engine, pheeew, probably the alternator or water pump belt of bolts of something along those lines, going to take rear panel off behind the seat to inspect further tonight. 

Here’s a pic of the pulleys, the bottom left has the most noticble play with the other yellow arrow pointing to another with very very slight play, could this be the cause and is that the alternator? I used a 24mm spanner to loosen the pulley belt so i could wiggle, under tension there is no play.

A8734041-1DE9-40A8-B247-30446CF131A3.jpe

The pulley arrowed at the bottom left is your water pump & the top right one is the power steering pump. If you take the belt off then spin all the pulleys by hand you should hear or feel which one is the culprit or very carefully use a stethoscope against each pulley whilst its running.

HTH

58 minutes ago, Chris H1AVFC said:

The pulley arrowed at the bottom left is your water pump & the top right one is the power steering pump. If you take the belt off then spin all the pulleys by hand you should hear or feel which one is the culprit or very carefully use a stethoscope against each pulley whilst its running.

HTH

It’s probably going to be the water pump then as I had the power steering pump done last year, will try taking the belt off and spinning the pulleys.

having now spun the pulleys the one making a noise is the power steering pulley if that’s the one with the arrow above pointing to it at top right.

Cameron Sports cars did the replacement I wonder if there is any comeback? It was about a year ago

12 hours ago, the baron said:

having now spun the pulleys the one making a noise is the power steering pulley if that’s the one with the arrow above pointing to it at top right.

Cameron Sports cars did the replacement I wonder if there is any comeback? It was about a year ago

The pulley on the power steering pump has no bearings in it so if you are feeling wear or hearing a noise from it then your issue is the pump itself unless the 3 bolts holding it on are loose.

Why was it replaced last year?

Did you check the oil filter to see anything dodgy in there? If that's clean, I would try to check power-steering pump, see the video below illustrating a dodgy one;

I've lost mine a few years ago, not a fun experience on motorway... ? So would replace it immediately.

1 hour ago, ooid said:

Did you check the oil filter to see anything dodgy in there? If that's clean, I would try to check power-steering pump, see the video below illustrating a dodgy one;

I've lost mine a few years ago, not a fun experience on motorway... ? So would replace it immediately.

That’s the noise mine is making which is a concern due to it being replaced last year.

She lives to run  another day, Ive taken the belt off and started up the engine, no knocking so its definitely either the water pump or the power steering, its booked in with Cotswold Porsche on Tuesday to be sorted plus getting a new starter motor as the chipping is embarrassing.

Just in time for the retro run my cars entered into at the silverstone classic the following weekend.

Archived