Passenger Door Lock Fault

Eddy555

My passenger door lock has started playing up - it started during the really spell of weather a few weeks back. 

When you come to unlock the car you can hear it try to unlock and the horn gives 2 short beeps (Bip Bip).

The red light on the central locking switch is still on, and operating this won't unlock the door and the horn Bip Bips as well.

However if I drive it a short way, like to the end of my road, operating the central locking switch will unlock the door.

The window still go down when the roof is operated.

Any thoughts on this? Sticky door lock that needs lubricating or switch on it's way out?

From the description and the beeps i'd look at replacing the door lock module. They contain about 5 different micro-switches so once they go wonky you may as well change it.

It's not a difficult job and the modules can be quite cheap to buy either a good used or, as many do, fit an ebay special.

If you search the site there  will lots on door lock modules.....

Cheers, sounds like the best solution.

I'd read a few things about the micro-switches causing problems with the locks and the alarms modules getting wet and corroded, but not seen an issue like mine so far.

Apart from the microswitches, there are actuators to physically lock and unlock the door.  It sounds like one of those is sticky, so it isn't moving the mechanism to trigger the "unlocked sensing" microswitch, and giving you a double-beep.  Maybe the short run gives it a bit of a rattle and frees it up.

You could try WD40 on the lock from the edge of the door then operating the door lock using a screwdriver instead of closing the door and/or tap the bolts of the lock with a hammer. The objective ibeing to free a sticking microswitch. It worked on my car for a while but a lock change was ultimately necessary. VW Golf V lock worked.

Cheers for the advise. A first step does sound like squirting some WD in there. Maybe it dried out a little in the heat we've had and made it worse.

I also noticed that the lock mechnism appears to be common with the Audi TT from a part number search on the net.

Archived