Radio aerial

LordGrover

My 2003 2.7 has an aftermarket Kenwood head unit. Medium wave reception is very poor, and I like Five Live. ?

There is no obvious aerial that I can see, is it buried behind the dash or something? 

If I can't get it working any better I may have to go DAB, but never had great reception in previous cars.

It's in one of the windscreen pillars. Can't remember which side. If you remove the pillar trim it will be obvious. Reception on my old Becker was fine so you might have a dodgy connection. Must admit I haven't listened to any analogue radio since I changed the head unit.

7 hours ago, Simon_S said:

It's in one of the windscreen pillars. Can't remember which side. If you remove the pillar trim it will be obvious. Reception on my old Becker was fine so you might have a dodgy connection. Must admit I haven't listened to any analogue radio since I changed the head unit.

There's a booster in one of the pillars, that line down the middle of the screen is the antenna.

• 3 months later...

Following on from this, I've suffered from poor radio reception since the New Year when I bought the car. Today I took the CDR24 radio out, boy was that a nightmare, and did a continuity check between the aerial plug at the radio end and the left A pillar radio antenna visible there. There was no connectivity between the two! The cable appears to be the same at its extremities but obviously I can't tell where its routed , connected to or broken. Has anyone had a new aerial fitted and how big a job is it? Is it a workshop job or is it possible to do yourself.?

Just put a Kenwood head unit in mine.  Needed an ISO to DIN adaptor to put into the OEM loom socket.  It would be possible to trim the long black sleeve and the metal socket on the loom to make the Kenwood aerial fit directly, if so then it could be a poor connection.  Having stripped the two A pillar trims to choose where best to fit my unit's DAB aerial (chose left side in the end), the aerial amplifier seemed to me to be in the right hand one.

The aerial booster is powered by the white wire on the radio ISO plug.   

You might want to check that the person who installed your Kenwood head unit did it properly and provided power to the white cable.

Archived