What should my clutch feel like?

Jerakeen

I keep on reading things on t'internet that say how light the Boxster clutch is. Well, mine isn't. I wouldn't call it heavy but it requires a firm push on it and the biting point is quite a long way down. I've also read that the signs of a failing clutch is a very high biting point so I'm quite reassured by that but I just wondered why the pedal is so firm.

It's an 03 986 S with 87k on the clock. I have paperwork saying that the clutch was replaced about 40k ago.

Does this sound like something I should worry about? 

Hi, mine is reasonably heavy (certainly not as light as the one in my scirocco) but otherwise appears to be fine. There is a lot of conflicting advice about this (some say they are heavier than a normal hatchback, some claim they are light as a feather). 

If its not slipping, otherwise feels fine, and is not obviously 'heavy' I'd not lose sleep over it.

Oh and you could try flushing the clutch with new fluid. It's pretty easy and won't do any harm

1 hour ago, Jerakeen said:

I keep on reading things on t'internet that say how light the Boxster clutch is. Well, mine isn't. I wouldn't call it heavy but it requires a firm push on it and the biting point is quite a long way down. I've also read that the signs of a failing clutch is a very high biting point so I'm quite reassured by that but I just wondered why the pedal is so firm.

It's an 03 986 S with 87k on the clock. I have paperwork saying that the clutch was replaced about 40k ago.

Does this sound like something I should worry about? 

I think I've read about a 'clutch assist' spring for the Boxster to make the clutch lighter, so seems to imply they probably are heavier than most.

My clutch is really light, compared to the previous S. The owner said it had had a new clutch with the spring assist to make it like that

The 986 does have an assist spring that can be replaced and this can make a difference apparently, however how heavy is your clutch, it all a bit subjective really. If it works I would not worry. If you use a reliable garage ask their opinion next time you're in. I had a clutch put in by Revolution when they did my IMS, I asked about replacing the assist spring but they were quite clear the spring was fine and did not need replacing. My 986 clutch is  heavier than my daughters KA but lighter than the clutch on our family hack, a Ford S-Max diesel.

Archived