Driving with hood not fully open/closed - alarm?

Rav

I am on annual leave, looking after my children this week.

My wife took the boxster to work today and taking advantage of the warm sunny weather opened up the roof. I dont think that she waited for the mechanism to fully open and drove home.

When she got home i went out to greet her and noticed that a red warning light was on, on the dash. I also noticed a periodic buzz from the dront of the car. Is this some sort or warning noise?

I opened the hood fully and then closed it again until the hood operation light went out and the noise went away.

Any ideas?

Yes, there's a red warning light on the right hand side of the warning lights for this (I'm currently seeing it a bit! :) ).

You can see it listed here on the far right:

6nmfexa.jpg

Mine beeps at me intermittently if I'm driving while that light is on/roof isn't fully open or closed. It sounds like it's beeping from behind the dash.

I don't know the cars well enough to know if you were hearing something else I'm afraid!

Let me prefix this response with I am a married man with 3 daughters I fully accept that women and men are equally capable or being good or bad drivers. 

But. When it comes to mechanical empathy. OMG. I couldn’t drive 10 yards with a red light on but I have had phone calls while in another continent saying things like “is it ok to drive home with a flat tyre “ and “there’s a red light with a watering can on it can I drive it” 

best one was a Renault safrane that actually spoke  I got a call one day and she actually put the car on the phone it said “warning you are driving with the handbrake engaged”  she said “what does that mean”

the good new is that in all cases the manufacturers build in so much safety margins that even these scenarios didn’t lead to any long term damage  (other than the tyre  that jumped the rim and screwed the wheel as well that was apparently a stupid design )

i would call it fixed   No harm done  

2 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Let me prefix this response with I am a married man with 3 daughters I fully accept that women and men are equally capable or being good or bad drivers. 

But. When it comes to mechanical empathy. OMG. I couldn’t drive 10 yards with a red light on but I have had phone calls while in another continent saying things like “is it ok to drive home with a flat tyre “ and “there’s a red light with a watering can on it can I drive it” 

best one was a Renault safrane that actually spoke  I got a call one day and she actually put the car on the phone it said “warning you are driving with the handbrake engaged”  she said “what does that mean”

the good new is that in all cases the manufacturers build in so much safety margins that even these scenarios didn’t lead to any long term damage  (other than the tyre  that jumped the rim and screwed the wheel as well that was apparently a stupid design )

i would call it fixed   No harm done  

You have my sympathy!

I have experienced similar issues. 

I do love the spoken warning question though ?

My mother in law once drive home a few miles with smoke pouring from the rear (as far as I recall) of the car, a terrible burning plastic smell and a horrible grinding noise going on.  It turned out she had driven over a full sized traffic cone which became jammed in between the wheel and the wheel arch - the turning wheel was rubbing against and melting the plastic.  She didn’t stop to check. Just carried on.  

My wife smelt petrol in her mini whilst driving.  Carried on, ignoring the potential dangers or implications. Parked up (opposite a fire station!) and went shopping. She came back to find her car surrounded by firemen as the petrol tank had decided to dump it’s entire contents into the road whilst she was shopping ?

We sold my mums fiesta to a friend of a friend.

In the few years that he owned it ...

Drove from London to Liverpool in 3rd gear (thought he was in 5th)

put 50 psi pressure in the tyres as the gauge was faulty at the station

Left the drivers window open (it rained profusely and the car stank for months)

but the best one .... Went to work in the car. Left work and took the bus home. His wife enquired about the car, and then he realised!!!!

Daughter drove up to our place with her boy friend. On the highway the oil pressure light came on, they drove on. The engine started making loud noises, they drove on. A loud bang and the engine quit, they coasted into a rest area and called us. We called AAA and arranged to have it towed home. I drive down to the rest area to pick up the kids. Car was on the flatbed truck and I popped the hood (bonnet) and took a look. Daylight shining through engine block. Dad not happy!

Archived