Fan blowing air out the side scoop

ATM

My 981 hadn't been used for about 3 weeks. I fired it up just to move it a bit to allow me to attach the battery charger. I noticed an extra buzzing noise and went to investigate. I found air blowing out the bottom of the side scoop on the driver's side. Why is it doing that?

Assuming the same set up as a 986, the ns vent is induction and the os vent is ventilation (of the engine bay). It is fan assisted when hot so I'm not sure why the fan would work when the engine is cold.

Yes the 981 has filters and intakes on both sides, but looking at the SIT doc you can see there is a fan involved but it’s not clear how and when that fan operates, it doesn’t look as though it’s on the standard intake path so must be used for some other cooling purpose I suspect.   I can’t say I’ve noticed this in operation myself.

Had a buzzing noise from my nearside fan on a couple of recent drives, investigation revealed a large dried leaf trapped around the perimeter of the fan blades. I missed it the first time but managed to remove it yesterday, fingers crossed that was the source of my noise. 

I have not noticed which way the airflow is from these fans but would have thought they were both intakes rather than blowing outwards. The air flowing into the fan whilst driving would be working against that.

19 minutes ago, tailslides said:

Had a buzzing noise from my nearside fan on a couple of recent drives, investigation revealed a large dried leaf trapped around the perimeter of the fan blades. I missed it the first time but managed to remove it yesterday, fingers crossed that was the source of my noise. 

I have not noticed which way the airflow is from these fans but would have thought they were both intakes rather than blowing outwards. The air flowing into the fan whilst driving would be working against that.

That's why I fitted side intake zumezort grills on mine. Stops anything getting in..?

6 minutes ago, fat haggis said:

That's why I fitted side intake zumezort grills on mine. Stops anything getting in..?

I think that will be on my shopping list, I had already made my own front mesh screens.

Just put off by the difficulty of cleaning the side intakes.

2 hours ago, tailslides said:

On the 986 (maybe 987 too) the off-side 'intake' is a vent so it is possible for it to work against the moving air flow. However I've only noticed my car's off-side vent fan coming on when in slow moving or standing traffic so not much moving air flow.

Did some research. This issue was raised on Planet 9. Fan switched itself on half an hour after a drive. Apparently it sucks rather than blows yet it feels like it's blowing from the vent. Try dangling a tissue in front of the vent when it next happens. There was also a suggestion it's happening both sides. Anyway seems to be normal on a 981.

3 hours ago, ATM said:

My car was just fired up and moved 10 metres. Why would it need to start blowing or sucking for that - seems odd right. Might go try it again and check both sides.

Mine does not need much warmth to start them, I am sure someone will know when and what temp.

Archived