718 intake grille protection upgrade.

Scubaregs

Anyone know anything about this?

P5jRSO1.jpg

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK718GRILLES.html

Found it on one of the American forums. Apparently going to be standard on 2019 cars.  Guy in Sweden says his car is booked in for a service and they will fit these for free at the same time.

Pic of clean car.

tqc2GBD.jpg

Ditto Mikey. 

Considering a trip into the OPC to ask about them, if they are fitting them as standard then I would expect a set gratis.

Other option is a group buy with one delivery, but would still be expensive.

13 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Ditto Mikey. 

Considering a trip into the OPC to ask about them, if they are fitting them as standard then I would expect a set gratis.

Other option is a group buy with one delivery, but would still be expensive.

Havent seen then for sale in the uk only the zunsport ones which i dont like.

P&p increases with more then you get hit with import tax 

Not a fan of the Zunsport either, do have the fronts and like those.

Import tax is a problem, but ten sets sent to one address should be easily doable for the quoted $100, plus you would be negotiating a discount from the supplier for buying in bulk. Still the cost to send to each UK address, probably no more than a fiver though and as you said, import tax.

18 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Not a fan of the Zunsport either, do have the fronts and like those.

Import tax is a problem, but ten sets sent to one address should be easily doable for the quoted $100, plus you would be negotiating a discount from the supplier for buying in bulk. Still the cost to send to each UK address, probably no more than a fiver though and as you said, import tax.

Unfortunately to ship 10 units is $311 ?you would also need to add customs duty as over £120 plus vat and exhange rate is pants . These would be very costly

From a website quote?

Pretty sure you get that down by dealing with them directly. Probably a mute point though as I doubt we would get ten interested parties, plus I'm hoping Porsche do the decent thing and supply them FOC.

1 hour ago, Scubaregs said:

From a website quote?

Pretty sure you get that down by dealing with them directly. Probably a mute point though as I doubt we would get ten interested parties, plus I'm hoping Porsche do the decent thing and supply them FOC.

I love your optimism ? 

Still reckon looking at nearly 250 including all taxes.

I think they will become available soon in the uk

Strange fitting as standard as heard of no cases of intake damage

I’ve checked mine which is a June 2016 model 718S and these are fitted. I’ve only had the car for 2 months and the previous owner had only done 3k. Didn’t seams like a person who would purchase these. 

25 minutes ago, molins said:

I’ve checked mine which is a June 2016 model 718S and these are fitted. I’ve only had the car for 2 months and the previous owner had only done 3k. Didn’t seams like a person who would purchase these. 

I have never seen any on the cars so very strange that one

10 minutes ago, molins said:

As I said I don't think he would have purchased these as MD of a  VW dealership. Only did 1,000 miles in the last year!

Weird one as no one sells  them in the  uk. Not on Porsche accessories and design911 never heard of them when i enquired a few months back.

The plot thickens 

On 8/29/2018 at 10:41 PM, molins said:

On 8/30/2018 at 10:47 AM, Scubaregs said:

My 18 plate certainly does not have them.

On 8/30/2018 at 1:26 PM, MIkeyv60 said:

Nice one he obviously has purchased them . No one has them in the uk only suncoast in the US

As these arent Porsche fitment as they going to be funny like they are with the Zunsport grilles? 

I'd been meaning to look at my 981 as I thought it might have something similar. Sure enough, recessed deeply into the intakes on both sides (just like the 718, though possibly more even recessed than they appear to be from the look of the Suncoast photos, and at a different angle too, mine are more like parallel with the side of the car) :

Intake grilles

I don't know if all 981s had them - mine is a late 2015 and they would have been on it as new. But based on that, I'm a bit surprised that 718s don't have something similar as standard. 

This is the drivers side of my 2014 981 2.7.

Top of the vent:

tjJiLZg.jpg

Bottom of vent:

mwCGsUk.jpg

I think they need a clean! Assume the same set up on the near side.

1 hour ago, Ringer250 said:

This is the drivers side of my 2014 981 2.7.

Well done Steve for actually bending down to look into the lower part of the vent, which I didn't do when I took my pictures (though unlike you I did walk around the car to look at the other side :P).  I've just been and had another look at mine - I don't think I'd realised before that the two channels remained completely separate all the way into the bodywork, but the lower vents on mine also look just the same as yours (and are the same both sides). 

I believe the upper channel on each side is an air intake for the engine, which is why it has the finer grille; the lower channel is for engine compartment cooling (you can see a fan on each side through the lower part of the vent).

Archived