Roof dead...Is it me?

fusionsplice

Afternoon All,

I have tried searching and not come up with much - more than likely my search ineptitude than anything else, so apologies if this has already been covered.

Basically the roof has being working great and pulling strong with no issues and the yesterday nothing, no noise or anything just nothing.

- Key in ignition and and ignition on, but can not started.

- Hand brake was on with the light on the dash illuminated.

- Pulled back the roof lever and the windows dropped as normal.

- Pressed the button and well that is where it all went wrong...nothing at all happened.

So have I done something wrong? forgotten a step or done something a bit dumb?

I am a bit ham-fisted but as it is a relatively inexpensive car I would be happy to have a go at some basic troubleshooting if anyone can advise?

Your help is much appreciated - despite the roof issue this car and the noise it produces makes me grin from ear to ear when I get in it so would hate for the roof to spoil that.

Could be the roof motor. Manually put the roof in the emergency opening position (I think the procedure is in the owners manual) and then you can check for a voltage at the motor power connector when the switch is pressed.

Or it could be a faulty relay in the fuse box (its the big double one with either a black square or a triangle on it - it's also not just a relay, it has the electronic logic in it as well)

Or maybe one of the micro switches that report the roof position to the 'relay'

What year is your car?

21 hours ago, AMacdonald said:

If the windows drop I think the latch microswitch must be OK. The roof motor or its associated fuse/relay feel like the most likely culprits to me. Does anyone know if the electronics in the relay control the window drop? 

Ahmmm got a feeling my windows dropped when my micro switch was playing up....I could be wrong. I sprayed the switch with WD40 at first and with fiddling got the hood to move a bit. Changed the switch all perfect ? 

If the handbrake light comes on, then the handbrake microswitch is working fine. To test the one in the latch, I assume you'll have to remove it and test for continuity, although as the Windows drop it sounds like it's working. Relay/fuse/motor seem the areas to check.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The roof is fixed and it was sunny - so my drive to Redhill to see www.caymanautos.co.uk was worth it - bit cold in places on the way home but lovely to have the roof down.

It was a wiring fault in the end (between the latch and under the seat apparently) all sorted, £264 (inc. VAT) lighter, but the service was fast and excellent and the drive home was ace. Home early enough to meet the missus for lunch and get the car home for a full in/out polish. Lovely.

Archived