Almost up in flames!!!

Remodot

I feel such a pratt! I changed the serpentine belt today with no problems. After that I thought as roof was half up I would check the 2 drain holes, they were clear. So far so good. I seemed to remember seeing something about drain holes in the front trunk, so had a go at them - that’s when It went wrong ?

In the front trunk, on drivers side I saw a hole which is vertical and best described as on the inner wing, it was clear. I also saw another hole close to it, this is horizontal. I put my finger in to clear a leaf and felt a rubber insert. So, stupidly, I thought I’d check it’s clear with the brush on the end of a long spring, same tool I used on rear drain holes. I pushed it in gently then felt the rubber insert slide into the hole. I left the spring in for seconds then saw smoke come out the hole, I grabbed  the spring only to burn my fingers?. The spring was very hot and oxidised, I’m thinking I must have bridged to electrical connections. Luckily as soon as I pulled it out the smoke stopped, I checked and everything seems to be working OK, so no immediate damage or blown fuse. The whole thing only took about 5 seconds. 

Seems like a very lucky escape, or was it?? Anyone any thought on what I hit? Can I and should I replace the rubber insert?

By the way the rubber insert must still be below the hole as it didn’t fall onto the ground. 

Some pictures showing the hole which is by the steering column  - 

Spring and brush pointing to the hole 

d7VxfV2.jpg

The hole minus the rubber insert

SatXuLL.jpg

Could you have inadvertently caught the handle end of the probe on the battery +ve contact?

If the grommet is where I think it is there could be the current distributor on the other side of the bulkhead. Basically a heavy duty junction box that distributes the power from the battery to the various points around the car.

Don’t think I touched the negative terminal or ground to the car, but now that you ask I can’t say for sure. Touching the heavy duty junction box makes more sense. The burn on my hand is pretty sore though ?

I’m going to remove the front off side wheel to see if I can get into the area where the grommet dropped. I’m worried that without it in place water can get into the electrics. 

Had a look, nothing I could feel or see I  that area. Didn't find the grommet though. Looks like water would just drain away. 

16 hours ago, topradio said:

Could you have inadvertently caught the handle end of the probe on the battery +ve contact?

If the grommet is where I think it is there could be the current distributor on the other side of the bulkhead. Basically a heavy duty junction box that distributes the power from the battery to the various points around the car.

I was nowhere near it guv.  Honest.

Found the grommet part number, 999 703 476 41, can only find it on one web site at £3.47 + £8 delivery. Think I’ll call dealership tomorrow, see what they want.

Archived