Mystery bolt

Fisheagle

I found a 12mm high tensile steel bolt lying loose under my drivers seat (RHD). Its 122mm long and takes a 55 Torx socket. It has a rubber sleeve over some of the threads.

Any clues where its from and as it looks like a serious piece of kit, what should it be holding together?

Mystery bolt2.JPG

Thanks for your responses.

I sent a similar message to the garage that last did any work on the car  - two years ago - and they responded saying that it was part of "an alignment tool" which they thought they had lost or misplaced in the footwell and then rolled under the seat.

Im still waiting to find out what sort of "alignment tool" this could have been!

A relief that its not holding (or unholding) some vital part in place.

I reckon thats off the alignment tool they use to clamp the steering wheel in the straight  ahead position if work is being done on the steering components  under the car.... its a gadget that clamps to the wheel and presses onto the drivers seat ... they put rubber bits on bolts and threads to protect leather and plastics etc , thats my best guess

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever had your door cards off? That looks like one of the 2 main bolts used in that application (under the removable clip on the door pull...

Skip to 1min 43secs in this and you'll see what I mean!

Hi dpg123

No, never had the door cards off. The two bolts in the video are smaller in diameter than the 'mystery bolt' and the garage seems to think its part of an 'alignment tool' that they mislaid.

Thanks for the thought though - and now I know how to remove the door card if ever I need to.!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived