986s cutting out whilst driving

SDF1965

I have a strange fault that I hope someone on here can assist with

been out for the day, in all a 120 mile trip, met with friends, couple of hours later on the way home, after about 20 miles And doing about 50 the car felt like the ignition had been turned off, momentum bumped the car back into life. Fault got worse as journey progressed and when sitting in traffic would cut out completely

car would start immediately from the key and idled at 850 RPM , pulls strongly with no hesitation

my Ebay OBD reader can’t see any error codes so little stuck there

train of though so far 

1. Thought about crank sensor but car will restart immediately so should I discount? Sensors tend to need time to cool down and everything up to full operating temperature

2. Fuel pump relay or fuel pump? however when car restarts it idles smoothly and no hesitation in acceleration

3. Throttle position sensor, if that fails would that give the symptoms i’m Having?

any suggestions gratefully received

I had a similar issue with my 964.  No codes no warning lights the car just would slow down and stop.  The issue was fuel starvation.  Turned out to be a VERY dirty fuel filter that was restricting fuel flow.  Easy fix but it took a lot of time to find the real problem. :huh:  We have a issue here in the USA with ethanol in our gas, it causes lots of problems.

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2018 at 1:41 PM, Venari said:

The VAG-shared ignition switch is a common failing.  Example DIY guide:

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Replace_Ignition_Switch.html

Bear in mind all the US articles on this are for LHD cars, where the ignition barrel is the other way up, which makes it difficult to access from the footwell.

BTW, you should really post something here: http://www.BoXa.net/forum/forum/17-other-marques-besides-porkers33/

I'd love to see some photos of your other cars, especially the Fulvia.  I had a 1970 Rallye S many years ago.

Sorry for going O/T OP.  My money would be on the fuel pump relay or CPS.  You wouldn't get a fault code for the pump relay, and a generic code reader might not show a CPS fault.

On 11/19/2018 at 11:23 AM, Richard Hamilton said:

I'd love to see some photos of your other cars, especially the Fulvia.  I had a 1970 Rallye S many years ago.

230711_1049492482202_5471_n.jpg?_nc_cat=

Many years ago.  It's been laid up quite a while now, waiting for me to get a big workshop.

Hi all, quick update, following all advice received I discounted sensors as the car would restart immediately after cutting out. Rather than dive in and start replacing items I pulled all fuses and relays, including those in the boot, cleaned contacts and reinstalled. Have completed approximately 800 miles in all weathers, faultless

suspect it may have been fuel pump relay, should it happen again will start with that relay 

lovely Fulvia by the way, had a bought a 1300 back in 84, couldn’t get insurance so swapped for a TR7..... that’s another story!!

Archived