Map Update query

jimso999

I have just purchased a Gen2 S MY2010. The navigation maps are as would have been originally installed. So, i'd like to get them updated. Heres my question, how do I go about it? I know it costs a fair chunk of cash to have it done at a Porsche Centre. There are update DVD's available on eBay for a reasonable price so I'd be happy to sport a few quid for one of these. The latest that I've seen for sale seems to be a 2015 update. Is that the newest available? And... if I buy one, where do i insert it to make the update. One seller on eBay says there is a dedicated DVD drive under the hood. Is that so? Or, do I just insert it in the drive in the car? I have the Bose option in the car - not sure if this makes any difference.

2015 is the latest I believe - or at least was the last time I checked.  

You need the maps plus a license code (comes separately) plus someone with a PIWIS programmer to install and license them though...

The disc’s definitely upload via the standard in-vehicle drive.

26 minutes ago, jimso999 said:

I have just purchased a Gen2 S MY2010. The navigation maps are as would have been originally installed. So, i'd like to get them updated. Heres my question, how do I go about it? I know it costs a fair chunk of cash to have it done at a Porsche Centre. There are update DVD's available on eBay for a reasonable price so I'd be happy to sport a few quid for one of these. The latest that I've seen for sale seems to be a 2015 update. Is that the newest available? And... if I buy one, where do i insert it to make the update. One seller on eBay says there is a dedicated DVD drive under the hood. Is that so? Or, do I just insert it in the drive in the car? I have the Bose option in the car - not sure if this makes any difference.

The dedicated DVD drive is on the 2.1 system.  Gen2 runs the PCM3

Any Porsche Indy will have a PIWIS - plus some private individuals - they do cost lots though as you might expect.  

Then you need the maps and a license code - which I believe are available online if you have a google.

So it is potentially possible to do this at a lower cost than OPC - who charge anything from £250 and £500 from the last time I checked...

On 10/29/2018 at 5:54 PM, jimso999 said:

pm Richard Hamilton he can help you 

had mine done a while back at OPC - main problem is the time the update takes in the maintenance bays - feeding it one DVD after another takes time (ie hours) and it blocks a bay while they do it. or at least thats what they say to justify the cost anyway.  So the charge flat rate for bay (forced to by porsche) and have someone feed it discs one by one for hours - then job done.

mine have 2016 maps (latest) and every 3 years new ones should come out for PCM3.x  so best not to do it yet and wait for mid 2019 and then do it with the new 2019 maps I reckon. that's when I'll do my next update. Unless you're on 2010 maps in which case 2016 would be progress - but best wait if you can a bit for 2019 updates.

Hi Guys,

I faced all of these issues last year when I bought my 987.1. After lots of research I decided that I was trying to polish a turd.

I changed mine out for a Kenwood DMX7017. I spent a lot of time researching this and considered stuff like the Dynavin. There is lots of debate about keeping the car standard looking and considering resale value etc. (My view on this is that there are so many 987s out there that they are clearly not going to be highly sought after collectors cars). I have retained the Bose amp and have had the Kenwood set up to use the steering wheel controls. Most of the driving data mileage, averages etc can still be scrolled through on the central dials so there is absolutely no downside. The upsides are that the unit looks factory fitted and the music and navigation options are brilliant. I'm primarily using Android auto and DAB and I couldn't be more pleased.

Unit, cabling and fitting was £630. I sold the pcm on Ebay for £250 so £380 was the real cost.

Capture 3.JPG

7 hours ago, Bravestarr said:

Hi Guys,

I faced all of these issues last year when I bought my 987.1. After lots of research I decided that I was trying to polish a turd.

I changed mine out for a Kenwood DMX7017. I spent a lot of time researching this and considered stuff like the Dynavin. There is lots of debate about keeping the car standard looking and considering resale value etc. (My view on this is that there are so many 987s out there that they are clearly not going to be highly sought after collectors cars). I have retained the Bose amp and have had the Kenwood set up to use the steering wheel controls. Most of the driving data mileage, averages etc can still be scrolled through on the central dials so there is absolutely no downside. The upsides are that the unit looks factory fitted and the music and navigation options are brilliant. I'm primarily using Android auto and DAB and I couldn't be more pleased.

Unit, cabling and fitting was £630. I sold the pcm on Ebay for £250 so £380 was the real cost.

Capture 3.JPG

What hardware did you need to retain the bose?  I assume some fibre optic adapter stuff and a “power on” hook from the head unit.   

Hi Paul,

The cabling is readily available. Places like Design 911 have the various bits in stock. https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt2592_2611_-cma81-cmo82-ct293/Porsche/Boxster-986-987-981/Boxster-987-32-34L-2005-08-08/Steering-Wheel-Control-Interface/

My installer quoted about £80 for the main cable so Design 911 are making a fair markup.

Cheers,

Kevin

Archived