Plastic window and the cold......

Rav

Considering using the Boxster this week as the children are on half term holidays and I dont have to do the school run.

If i leave the boxster outside in the cold and dont mess about with opening and closing the roof, should it be ok in the cold and frost?

I dont want to have to replace the window soon, but dont want to stop using the car in winter......

It's only fragile when aged and the plastic becomes brittle. There are some 'treatments' you can rub on or polish in but when a new window sticker in is from £250 I never bothered. 

1 hour ago, the baron said:

Be careful Rav, I did the karate chop as recommend a few years backs and my fist went through the window, I hardly touched it, ridiculously fragile in the cold

Nightmare! That must have been so annoying and costly.

Mine went in about 12 degrees, went to fold out the crease and crack! Very fragile in the cold. Mine was original and also had gone very milky so tbh I was getting fed up of not seeing much out the back and having to get out and chop.  Making the move to glass.

I have owned two 986s with the plastic screen. The chop is always a good idea, but occasionally I didn't do it. For example, if sat at traffic lights.  I took the view that If the worst happens and it splits the replacement from companies such as Carhood Warehouse is pretty cheap. £200 last time I checked. A new window also gives you a clear view without all the scratches/milkiness that builds up over the years. Indeed, when I replaced one I was surprised how much better I could see out the back. You just get used to the state of the original. Also a new window will always be stronger than the old brittle one.  I think if you are going to put the roof down after leaving the car outside in cold temps, always try and get the heater on to warm the car up. Once you feel warm the window should also have warmed/softened too. 

I actually used an electric space heater placed on the passenger side footwell to warm the interior and the window if I wanted it down and the temperatures were too low. 

Suggest using Novus 1,2,3 on it at least yearly to reduce cloudyness and to make it more flexible, even with that it eventually will split.

The best window is the '03-'04 hood/top with frame from a wreck. Next the glass replacement hoods/tops.

Archived