Low milage belt change

mdunderwood

Hi all, 

6 year service on my 981 coming up and I was pleased to see it was a minor service! ?Until I found out it's also belt change time ? at 6 years.

Question is, with 18k on the clock and average 2k a year is this necessary? Do belts deteriorate on mileage or time?

Of course the obvious answer is do more miles, but apart from that what are the experiences out there?

Both, I changed mine for £35 (opc). Its every 6 years, not such an expense and doable yourself ?

You could suggest that tyres should last for more than 5 years if the mileage is low. 

You pays your money..........etc.

Only you can really decide to change or not.

Porsche clearly think they are at risk of deterioration by 6 years and should be changed. I can see the logic in this as being exposed to a harsh environment has the potential to cause deterioration. If you don't change it, then you should really be checking it's condition regularly which if DIY is free, but if you're getting an OPC to do it will cost more than a new belt over time. If it were me I'd change it myself.

34 minutes ago, banjo1 said:

the clutch oil will also need doing at 6 years on the pdk.

Yep. This needs PIWIS as far as I am aware - to check temperature and open/close the valves etc. I had mine done at CPS last year - not too expensive to do...

2 hours ago, T24RES said:

You are right. 

https://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/234403-timing-pdk-fluid-change.html?t=234403&amp=1

It seems 987.2 PDK is 6 years for clutch fluid and 12 years for gearbox oil whilst 981 is 12 years for both.  

Whilst the Revolution boys know I like to over service my cars, they suggested at next service I change the gearbox oil.

She's only just gone past 4 years and 31k miles.

Don't forget to check the date on your tyre gunk and last brake fluid change too.

Archived