Anybody done the desnork mod???

headless

Just been watching a video on utube with  guy doing the desnokel mod on a 987 and it looks pretty easy, that big restrictor plate looks like it might really restrict the air getting into the intake, so wondered why is it there??

Anybody done the mod and is it worth doing for the sound, and is there any pitfalls to having it done???

Registering my interest...

Water issue really wouldn't concern me given the openness of intakes to elements I have run on other past cars.  Like an unprotected K&N filter right under the 911 rear grill.

Done it, definitely makes a difference, more noise, noticeable over 3k revs especially with the roof up. 

Been like it for a few months now and no issue with water ingress, it’s not a sealed unit so if water is going to get in, it will get in - just don’t stick your hose pipe in the hole. If you are worried about debris, you can easily add some mesh.

and if you don’t like it, it’s a 10 min job to put it back as you don’t have to cut/break/modify anything to do it

15 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Done it, definitely makes a difference, more noise, noticeable over 3k revs especially with the roof up. 

Been like it for a few months now and no issue with water ingress, it’s not a sealed unit so if water is going to get in, it will get in - just don’t stick your hose pipe in the hole. If you are worried about debris, you can easily add some mesh.

and if you don’t like it, it’s a 10 min job to put it back as you don’t have to cut/break/modify anything to do it

cheers dude, I might give it a try next time out then see what it sounds like, I have some mesh so will do that!!!

just remember that when they say "simply pull off the vent" - what they actually mean is swear a lot, pull, pull and then pull some more to the point you think its going to break into a million pieces and then it just pops off in your hand  :)

53 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

just remember that when they say "simply pull off the vent" - what they actually mean is swear a lot, pull, pull and then pull some more to the point you think its going to break into a million pieces and then it just pops off in your hand  :)

haha, I thought that for ages, I wanted to take the vents off to change from silver to black and heard horror stories, they came off really easy and I now know the "knack" to getting them off and where to push with a little screw driver.

7qZFlyx.jpg

4 hours ago, detail1 said:

I de-snorkelled mine a while ago, definitely a better intake noise at mid to high revs, I meshed the inside of my grills to step any potential debris flying in.

20181017_142851

That's a great idea doing the whole of the vent in mesh, seen it on utube where they do just the little plastic bit behind that mesh you put in, I'll be doing your idea if I give it a try, cheers for the pics dude!!

Archived