Hard Top Experience

SteveEu

I’m relatively new to the 987 (987.1 3.4S) and have just noticed there’s a hard top available to fit. Does it require the soft top to be removed or just down? What are the pros and cons and what’s the driving experience like when it’s fitted? Thx

Hi there 

The roof just needs to be folded down and it attaches with two spin/lock clamps and the clamp above the windscreen.

I had one for my 986 and it was useful for the winter as my car lives outside. But since then I’ve had two 987s and with the thicker canvas roof on the 987 I don’t see the need.

They are quite rare on the 987 as most people don’t tend to bother, the shape and the fit is greatly improved on the 987 👍

Both actually but I did mean the hardtop.

The 986 one always looked a bit awkward whereas the 987 hardtop is a sleeker shape.

The soft top on the later 986 and the 987 has an extra bow/support. I think it’s to do with the glass rear screen but the overall shape is nicer side profile. 👍

Unless you're parking it where it is likely to end up covered in leaves or bird mess I wouldn't use a cover for the soft top at all.  Rain/snow certainly won't bother it but blocked drains under the roof and front scuttle really will ruin your day at some point.

Over the last 11 years my 986 has never been garaged and as such is out all year round - the soft top on that shrugs off whatever the British weather has thrown at it in that time.  So if the 987 roof really is better than a 986 you've no worries unless it's already damaged/badly worn.

Got mine from Covercraft - Noah fabric type - grey colour, quite thick and fleecy, breathable and heavy enough not to get easily blown off in the wind

does need a tie down (has fittings for that) in extreme weather but that's not very often here.

Being a bit thicker helps a bit with protection from minor things

• 3 weeks later...

Just fitted my 986 hardtop and think there an excellant accessory. Much quieter when fitted to give a different driving experience and prevents mould and mildew growth on the soft top through the wet winter months Also prevents water ingress into the foam well, just need to make the clamshell gutter drains are clear before fitting.  Also looks good imho.......not sure there's much difference in the look between the 987 & 986 hard top tbh. 

Archived