How to lower your Boxster 1” or 2 in 10 minutes

Buzzlt

Well I don’t think I will try it again.

So after a message from the Mrs which I didn’t understand, I later worked out it said “shall we pick up the floor tiles today”. As I didn’t get a reply to WTF are you talking about I took the Boxster. So it turns out 12 packets of slate and some adhesive easily fit. Eight in the front and 4 in the back.

Handling is terrible and it hits every small undulation. Also there was a really nasty shunt as I stopped a bit quick at the lights. Performance in a straight line is about the same.

Just weighed it all out and roughly about 212 Kg. Verdict don’t try this at home but it did do the job.

For the record my suspension is lowered about 10mm and it did pop back up again okay. Luckily it was not far to go. 

https://flic.kr/p/2bnjHxi

https://flic.kr/p/2bnjHH8

Just now, rowbos said:

Yikes.  I think I might avoid doing that to my Boxster - just take the wife’s car next time 🤔

Yeah I put some in hers too but I had already forgotten that I left my tools in her boot. Doh.

I used to fill the front boot with cases of wine, then read somewhere that the tub has something like an 80kg weight limit.  At 150 litres, you can virtually double that just with wine so I hate to think how much ceramic you can get in there.

2 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

I picked up a full car (IIRC seats down) full of turf in an XR2 once, the wheels were rubbing the arches on the way home...we made it though

One of my friends had a 928 some years back and loaned it to a friend when he went on holiday.  Whilst away the friend looking after his pride and joy used it to collect a load of railway sleepers for their garden - this did not sit well at all on the suspension apparently.  They never told the owner of said 928 but told me what they had done a couple of years back.  Remind me never to lend them a car 🤔

On 11/11/2018 at 9:07 PM, thanatoid said:

Must have near pasteurized by the time home, both boots get rather warmer than you think :-)

My front boots have always stayed cold. :blink:   The rear in some has got a bit warm on some of the cars but the current one doesn't seem to.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:59 PM, Araf said:

I used to fill the front boot with cases of wine, then read somewhere that the tub has something like an 80kg weight limit.  At 150 litres, you can virtually double that just with wine so I hate to think how much ceramic you can get in there.

I don't think that's right as I stood in mine to swap out the battery in my old one and I weigh more than that... the batteries weigh a ton too! I wonder what the actual limit is.

1 hour ago, Nock said:

I don't think that's right as I stood in mine to swap out the battery in my old one and I weigh more than that... the batteries weigh a ton too! I wonder what the actual limit is.

Your battery isn't in the tub.  In addition, the weight limit will be set for the handling of the car as well as the strength of the tub itself.  Have a read on the interweb.  Plenty of people speak about standing in the tub and hearing a 'crack' :o 

1 hour ago, Araf said:

Your battery isn't in the tub.  In addition, the weight limit will be set for the handling of the car as well as the strength of the tub itself.  Have a read on the interweb.  Plenty of people speak about standing in the tub and hearing a 'crack' :o 

I know the battery isn't in the tub, but when carrying the old/new one whilst being stood in the tub, the total weight through the tub would have still equalled the weight of me plus the weight of the battery. I must have been lucky (or deaf)!

1 hour ago, Nock said:

I know the battery isn't in the tub, but when carrying the old/new one whilst being stood in the tub, the total weight through the tub would have still equalled the weight of me plus the weight of the battery. I must have been lucky (or deaf)!

It's a good job I don't try catching knives.  I'm a dab hand at getting the wrong end of the stick. :blush:

10 hours ago, Araf said:

My front boots have always stayed cold. :blink:   The rear in some has got a bit warm on some of the cars but the current one doesn't seem to.

That's weird, I recorded what both my boots registered for a different thread ages ago and they were beyond expectations... - laser guided infra red thermometer, open boot and point inside and wave around....   every home should have one :-)

6 minutes ago, thanatoid said:

That's weird, I recorded what both my boots registered for a different thread ages ago and they were beyond expectations... - laser guided infra red thermometer, open boot and point inside and wave around....   every home should have one 🙂

Yep my cat goes mad for the red dot and even tries to climb the walls.

As for the crack when you stand in the Frunk to change the battery - yep !

17 hours ago, thanatoid said:

That's weird, I recorded what both my boots registered for a different thread ages ago and they were beyond expectations... - laser guided infra red thermometer, open boot and point inside and wave around....   every home should have one :-)

Got one so I'll try it. :) 

I can confirm that the wine has never ended up 'mulled' :beer:

Archived