My flaps are loose!!

Remodot

I have a couple of loose flaps/veins in my dash centre vents. I tried to pull the vent out to see if I could fix them but am struggling, didn’t want to pull too hard incase I broke them. Any idea how To makes remove them?

cw1Wmaw.jpg

41 minutes ago, mark987 said:

Have a look here, it may be what your looking for! https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=998283

Thanks Mark, I’ll have a look tomorrow.

57 minutes ago, Remodot said:

Powers on with ignition. Why?

Every other car I’ve owned, the radio comes on when you start the car. My Porsche PCM 2.1 displays the Porsche logo then goes blank. I then have to use the power button. I just wanted to know if this is normal, or is there something wrong with my unit? Thanks. 

Sorry I can't help. If I turn the PCM off then shut the car down and remove the key once I restart the PCM will be off. If it's on when I shut the car down it comes on with the ignition. 

I guess you have gone though all the PCM menus. Have you tried resetting it to factory settings?

13 hours ago, Remodot said:

Sorry I can't help. If I turn the PCM off then shut the car down and remove the key once I restart the PCM will be off. If it's on when I shut the car down it comes on with the ignition. 

I guess you have gone though all the PCM menus. Have you tried resetting it to factory settings?

Ok, thats not how mine is working! I should probably start a new thread rather than hi jack this one. Thanks.

Hi Folks, got the front of the vent off, as per link is, thanks. However the horizontal flaps are held together by a plastic clip which clips onto the back of the flaps. It sits horizontally on the left holding the flaps together, the thumb roller in the middle of the vent is hooked onto one flap and as you move that all four move via the plastic clip - does that make sense?

Anyhow it’s the vertical plastic clip which has come off, luckily it was sitting in the vent and I was able to get it out with a pair of tweezers. Now I need to figure out how to get the body of the vent out of the dash and reassemble it. Any clues? 

Remo

21 hours ago, red rocket said:

Not sure whether this thread helps but check it out - includes some discussion of vent issues.

Oops, read this again and reading it differently. The answer in in the link - Fool. I will go try again.

7 hours ago, mark987 said:

Ok, thats not how mine is working! I should probably start a new thread rather than hi jack this one. Thanks.

slightly off topic - but just responding briefly - mine if off when I turn ignition off & stays off when ignition turned on. If I have it on and then turn off ignition, it will be on when I turn on ignition - it remembers how I left it.

I usually turn pcm off before ignition so mostly off in practice because of that.

3 hours ago, Remodot said:

Hi Folks, got the front of the vent off, as per link is, thanks. However the horizontal flaps are held together by a plastic clip which clips onto the back of the flaps. It sits horizontally on the left holding the flaps together, the thumb roller in the middle of the vent is hooked onto one flap and as you move that all four move via the plastic clip - does that make sense?

Anyhow it’s the vertical plastic clip which has come off, luckily it was sitting in the vent and I was able to get it out with a pair of tweezers. Now I need to figure out how to get the body of the vent out of the dash and reassemble it. Any clues? 

Remo

Oops, read this again and reading it differently. The answer in in the link - Fool. I will go try again.

I used a thick wire (from a coat hanger) with a small 180 degree bend at the end. Then using a small piece of double sided tape I attached the plastic clip to the hook. I then passed the plastic clip through the vent and then pulled it back into the slot at the back of the vertical adjustment slider. Using the wire I was able to apply enough force to get the plastic clip back in. Hope that makes sense? 

12 hours ago, mark987 said:

I used a thick wire (from a coat hanger) with a small 180 degree bend at the end. Then using a small piece of double sided tape I attached the plastic clip to the hook. I then passed the plastic clip through the vent and then pulled it back into the slot at the back of the vertical adjustment slider. Using the wire I was able to apply enough force to get the plastic clip back in. Hope that makes sense? 

Yes thanks that makes perfect sense and if I’d read the original How To I would have sen a i Milan method. However while trying to do this the plastic clip fell and went down into one of the holes, lost!!!!

So I’ve put it all back together now, guess if I need air I will open the roof.

Had to do this myself & it is an extremely frustrating pain in the ar*e of a job!

I used a bent piece of wire & lots of swear words!!

Now I insist that nobody touches them when they get in the car, don't want to spend hours trying to fix them again... 😂

I used my nails to get the silver ring off and 2 trim tools to get the cover off. One at 3 O'clock and one at 12. It was tough to come out, I thought I'd broken it but it was OK. 

OK thanks.  I managed to crack the ‘metal’ trim ring which is actually plastic by using too much pressure to lift it out of the recess in the vent - frustrating.

I’ve tried 3 o’clock and 12 o’clock on two different vents without any joy.

Maybe i’ll give up and sell the ‘fork’ that I can’t re-fit.

cheers, James

Is there a ‘how to’ for removing the complete unit? All the posts I’ve seen show how to remove the front only. 

fqxC7M6.jpg

18 hours ago, jnwright71 said:

OK thanks.  I managed to crack the ‘metal’ trim ring which is actually plastic by using too much pressure to lift it out of the recess in the vent - frustrating.

I’ve tried 3 o’clock and 12 o’clock on two different vents without any joy.

Maybe i’ll give up and sell the ‘fork’ that I can’t re-fit.

cheers, James

There's another clip at about 5 o'clock as well. Are you using plastic trim removal tools?

Once you've released the clips try to get your fingers around the left hand side. They are in very tightly!

Well after discovering all of my 'Flaps were Loose' I have come up with my highly intuative fix to allow the up and down movement of the inner flaps. (All of the parts that should be there to do this were not on any of my vents, I imagine they are long gone, I'd always wondered why the up and down movement of the lever was so loose  and what it was meant to do......)

I have used here a black key top indentifier, a small plastic washer, cut in half and a piece of black foam. (all readily available from ebay)

The black foam is inserted into the orgional slot on the back of the vent - this is to create a little fraction to keep the slider in place, in the desired postion. The key topper is cut down as shown in the picture and this slot lines up with the vent that controls the up and down movement, when the vent is replaced in the car. The pastic washer is inserted into the key topper to give a little more strength and to pad it out a little to enable it to be superglued into the slot, pressing down on the black foam to give the required friction. Here are my (artistic) pictures: -

pVfHjDo.jpg

XCMgfMQ.jpg

w70USZi.jpg

Archived