All season/summer tyres.

GmanB

1 hour ago, GmanB said:

Certainly an option, although I'm pretty sure I'd miss the extra 40mm of traction off the blocks in the summer. My Eagle F1 rears on my 18's (gone for restoration) are shot after only 7k miles, @£300 for a set of rears that's getting a bit pricey. I think I had them fitted at the end of June. 

£300 for two rear tyres isnt pricey (although 7000 miles is not good!), I used to pay £1000 for all 4 at 19" on the 987...still about £800-850 for a set of 4 on the 981 on 19's/20's

Had some nice heavy rain yesterday and today it was pretty cold and still very good grip. It's not often we get snow down these parts, but if we do I will report back. I was especially pleased today in the cold, where normally I don't think the summers get up to operating temperature. 

I have noticed a fair amount of road noise over the summers, but looking at the tread I'm not really surprised. 

Unfortunately I have nothing to compare these with as all of my previous cars have only had summers. If you are thinking about it, I would say read the reviews. £420 well spent, in my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...

@map we've had some pretty cold and wet weather recently. In both cold and wet conditions these work extremely well. We had a relatively warm morning on yesterday with mist  (I guess you could say it was a moist condition) and they didn't perform very well, the back end slid out a couple of times and turning in was hesitant . I think the summers perform better in that condition. 

6 minutes ago, GmanB said:

@map we've had some pretty cold and wet weather recently. In both cold and wet conditions these work extremely well. We had a relatively warm morning on yesterday with mist  (I guess you could say it was a moist condition) and they didn't perform very well, the back end slid out a couple of times and turning in was hesitant . I think the summers perform better in that condition. 

Hi, appreciate the update - your observations about the tyres' performance in less cold but damp conditions is counter to what I would have expected based on what I'd read.  

To be clear I'm not doubting what you're saying.

As you know I am looking at a set of these as Winters for my 986 once the Nokians are spent - the only time I'm aware of the Nokian tyres on my car doing what you describe was after a long, fast motorway run in temps of 8-10c when they went off and didn't give the grip I was used to - I'd basically got them too hot.

Have also found that I can get these Bridgestone tyres in the correct size/load rating for the old Range Rover Sport we use as our odd little family's daily hack - the idea of fit and forget is very appealing having just been through the summers/winters swap with last week's change to lower temps. Those wheels are heavy......

Given that the conditions you describe are pretty much UK early Spring and late Autumn I'm interested to see how they fair from here on.

Am certain that many others who use their Boxster's year round welcome your updates.

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, map said:

Hi, appreciate the update - your observations about the tyres' performance in less cold but damp conditions is counter to what I would have expected based on what I'd read.  

To be clear I'm not doubting what you're saying.

As you know I am looking at a set of these as Winters for my 986 once the Nokians are spent - the only time I'm aware of the Nokian tyres on my car doing what you describe was after a long, fast motorway run in temps of 8-10c when they went off and didn't give the grip I was used to - I'd basically got them too hot.

Have also found that I can get these Bridgestone tyres in the correct size/load rating for the old Range Rover Sport we use as our odd little family's daily hack - the idea of fit and forget is very appealing having just been through the summers/winters swap with last week's change to lower temps. Those wheels are heavy......

Given that the conditions you describe are pretty much UK early Spring and late Autumn I'm interested to see how they fair from here on.

Am certain that many others who use their Boxster's year round welcome your updates.

Thank you.

Yeah, I'm sure we'll get many more mornings like that over the coming weeks. I will monitor it more to see if things change, maybe my driving head wasn't on properly yesterday, I could have been a little throttle heavy...

• 2 weeks later...

@map having had the suspension fixed and front wheel alignment done, I've not had the same experience as I described above. The tyre pressure on the front was also a bit high. I'm really happy with these now. Hit some massive puddles on the way home today and it went through them like they weren't there. Well worth the investment. 👍

5 hours ago, GmanB said:

@map having had the suspension fixed and front wheel alignment done, I've not had the same experience as I described above. The tyre pressure on the front was also a bit high. I'm really happy with these now. Hit some massive puddles on the way home today and it went through them like they weren't there. Well worth the investment. 👍

Appreciate the update - it’s always surprised me just how sensitive Boxsters are to geo and tyre pressures. 

Pleased they're starting to live up to the marketing. 

Thanks map

Archived