All season/summer tyres.

GmanB

Hi All

Currently I have Goodywear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 - 225/40Y18 and 265/35Y18 and I'm experience a bit of slide on wet or damp shiny tarmac. I do a commute of 45 miles, 3 days a week and really it's only a few spots on the way to work and then home again.  Only on really wet days, the Eagles seem to suffer parsing water, but I'm guessing most summer tyres on most vehicles do.

I've recently purchased some 17 inch alloys for the winter, which should have 205/50Y17 and 255/40Y17 tyres as standard. I've heard the extra profile can add a little more comfort and the reduced width can parse a little more water. 

I see that Porsche recommend even thinner winter tyres for the Boxster, I don't need winter tyres as I live in the south of England. 

So really, I'm seeking advice of what tyres I should put on the 17" wheels for the winter/rain.

Any thoughts or first hand knowledge would be gratefully received. 

Thanks

G

10 minutes ago, GmanB said:

Hi All

Currently I have Goodywear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 - 225/40Y18 and 265/35Y18 and I'm experience a bit of slide on wet or damp shiny tarmac. I do a commute of 45 miles, 3 days a week and really it's only a few spots on the way to work and then home again.  Only on really wet days, the Eagles seem to suffer parsing water, but I'm guessing most summer tyres on most vehicles do.

I've recently purchased some 17 inch alloys for the winter, which should have 205/50Y17 and 255/40Y17 tyres as standard. I've heard the extra profile can add a little more comfort and the reduced width can parse a little more water. 

I see that Porsche recommend even thinner winter tyres for the Boxster, I don't need winter tyres as I live in the south of England. 

So really, I'm seeking advice of what tyres I should put on the 17" wheels for the winter/rain.

Thanks

G

I would put winters on - they are not just for snow - as soon as temperatures drop below 7deg summer tyres start to harden and lose grip.

I use Vredestein Wintrak Extreme during the winter on 18" wheels and it makes a definite difference - I'm Southern based too...

3 minutes ago, GmanB said:

Hi All

Thanks

G

I have the same Eagle tyres GmanB on mine and have been impressed with them.  Quiet, no slide, warm up nicely and have a nice lip to protect the alloys.  The 18" aren't 'N' rated for some reason but the 19" version is!  I live in the South to and cant see the point of winter tyres. I ride a motorcycle on race tyres throughout the year and recalibrate my 'right hand' accordingly... or in the Boxsters case my 'right foot'.

12 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I would put winters on - they are not just for snow - as soon as temperatures drop below 7deg summer tyres start to harden and lose grip.

I use Vredestein Wintrak Extreme during the winter on 18" wheels and it makes a definite difference - I'm Southern based too...

Thanks @rowbos I think those are on design911, what size did you go with?

I run 17" winters (Nokian Weatherproof) on my 986 and swear by them over the colder months - the car is my daily and covers around 15k miles a year so I'll take all the help I can get in terms of tyre performance.

That said when they need replacing I will be looking at Bridgestone Weather Control A005.  These are relatively new to the market carry an A rating for wet grip, and "Qualified Snow Performance" (ie they're recognised as Winter Compliant in terms of European Countries' regulation) but they are supposed to be a year round tyre.  With a bit of work you can find the right sizes and load ratings for a 986.

For me these (and similar) might be the optimum "Cold Weather" tyre for us Boxster drivers in the Southern half of the UK - the compound is designed for low temps but can handle summer warmth, they will work in snow (even if they aren't out and out Alpine tyres)  and have the highest rating for wet grip.

Once the Spring arrived I'd swap back to the Pilot Sports.

I'm on 17s on a 987.  205/55 and 235/50 tyres on them.  986 is generally a profile lower so if available a 986 should have 205/50 and 235/45.

Others have used 987 tyre sizes and it only makes around a 3% difference in gear ratios/speedo drive accuracy.

1 hour ago, GmanB said:

Thanks @map I've seen Nokian's while searching, may I ask what size you have on your 986S?

Haven't got the sizes to hand but can confirm that I am using the narrower winter option listed in the car's manual. In fact I think it's only the rear tyre that's narrower than standard summers.

Have to say I really like the way the 17s handle - am back and forth over switching to them for Summer tyres too. 

Yep general consensus is winters not all seasons, I'll be switching from summers set (N rated Conte's) to my spare wheels next week, running N rated Pirelli Sottzero 3 winter tyres, on a 986S the rear tyre size drops from 255 / 40 / 17 to 225 / 45 / 17, fronts remain the same size as summers at 205 / 50 / 17.

And winter tyres are not just about snow, once temp is consistently below 7c they come into their own in any winer conditions, especially when taking into account traction and crucially braking distances.

After looking at reviews and prices, I decided to go with a set of Bridgestone Weather Control A005. They sound like they will cope with warmer weather a bit better than full winters (it was 14 degrees C here today). £419 for the set. The load rating is 93 and 94 respectively front to rear and V speed rated, so within recommended Porsche rating. I'll have to remember to keep her under 149mph during the winter. They should be fitted in a week, so I'll report back once I've road tested them. 

On 12/5/2018 at 6:38 PM, GmanB said:

After looking at reviews and prices, I decided to go with a set of Bridgestone Weather Control A005. They sound like they will cope with warmer weather a bit better than full winters (it was 14 degrees C here today). £419 for the set. The load rating is 93 and 94 respectively front to rear and V speed rated, so within recommended Porsche rating. I'll have to remember to keep her under 149mph during the winter. They should be fitted in a week, so I'll report back once I've road tested them. 

Will be interested to hear what you make of them.  As I'd posted I think these might be the optimum "winter" tyre for those of us down south.

22 hours ago, james_ly said:

Down south I can just about get away with summer tyres, a steep hill wouldn't work though. I'd be tempted by all seasons all year if we had more snow.

I have to drive over the south downs on my commute, so struggling on wet days with summer tyres. It will be colder soon as well, it has to be, this double figure temperature can't continue into the new year surely?!

11 hours ago, map said:

Will be interested to hear what you make of them.  As I'd posted I think these might be the optimum "winter" tyre for those of us down south.

No problem, will certainly report back. It maybe a couple of weeks though, some delay at the warehouse or something.

• 1 month later...

@map finally had these fitted today, for one reason or another it just hasn't been viable to get them done. Typically the temperature is in double digits now, so I can't comment on the wet/cold or hot conditions, but on my 40 mile detour home, I'm pretty impressed with the grip.

uJpO6Gm.jpg

Will update if/when the weather gets cold/hot again.

1 hour ago, GmanB said:

@map finally had these fitted today, for one reason or another it just hasn't been viable to get them done. Typically the temperature is in double digits now, so I can't comment on the wet/cold or hot conditions, but on my 40 mile detour home, I'm pretty impressed with the grip.

uJpO6Gm.jpg

Will update if/when the weather gets cold/hot again.

Appreciate the update - as you say it's warmer than ideal for full Winters - will follow this with interest.

I know its different but the Cayenne has had winter tyres on since probably Jan 2018...i.e. throughout the 35 degree summer months....sure the roundabouts of Milton Keynes cause a little more tyre squeal now and again but they are perfectly adequate for all year round

12 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

I know its different but the Cayenne has had winter tyres on since probably Jan 2018...i.e. throughout the 35 degree summer months....sure the roundabouts of Milton Keynes cause a little more tyre squeal now and again but they are perfectly adequate for all year round

Certainly an option, although I'm pretty sure I'd miss the extra 40mm of traction off the blocks in the summer. My Eagle F1 rears on my 18's (gone for restoration) are shot after only 7k miles, @£300 for a set of rears that's getting a bit pricey. I think I had them fitted at the end of June. 

Archived