Had an oil sample done

toplad

So  thought I would get an oil sample done to check for oil condition and metal particles etc.

It cost under £40 with postage and you get the chance to have two samples done, so you can compare samples over time.

You also get the chance to talk to the technician who undertook the test and ask a few questions with an interpretation on the results.

I had a good chat with him about Porsche and BMW engines, he asked me why I had the sample done and mentioned he gets loads of Porsche and very rarely finds anything wrong or metals in the sample, he asked me," Have you been reading the forums" with a knowing tone. BMW owners are another paranoid lot and he gets lots of them too, very rare to find anything wrong with those too apparently.

He  said my sample reading were very low and I had nothing to worry about, adds a bit of perspective at least and nice to know for under forty quids

How long had the oil been in the car and how many miles had it done? Was the sample taken when it was cold after a period of non use, warm after a spirited run or something else?

3k since last service as seen in report. 

Car used daily and has 65k miles on the clock The sample is taken with warmed up oil with the correct procedure 

3 hours ago, PaulQ said:

All good then.

Having done this in the past, I've often wondered what I would do with the car if the results came back less then favourable. 

Flog it tout suite pronto! 😉😂

Thanks. Missed the 3k miles in the report. How long has it been in the car? (Or have I missed that too?) Interesting to read the oil is still in good condition and suitable for further use. Did you take a sample from the engine or from the "dropped" oil?

Archived