Excess moisture in the cabin

ricof

So my Boxster is being stored at my folks house over the winter and usually resides in a garage but lately it's been moved outside in lieu of my brother's car (he has early starts and it's only fair for him to not have to scrape the windows every morning). I went to drive it over Christmas and noticed quite a lot of condensation in the cabin (so much so I had to mop the windscreen and roof plastics). Should I be worried or is it just a fact of ownership of a 2005 model?

Thanks!

no mate perfectly normal . all convertibles suffer from this , get some moisture absorbent bags or tubs and that will keep it under control .  make sure all the drain holes are clear ..

Also check bottom of door cards.  If wet the membrane has perished.  Them membrane is actually a strip of foam about 10mm wide by 8mm high in a semi-dome shape stuck to the metal piece of the door card that sits behind the piece that has the inner door handle on.  It is easy to remove it then use silicone or screen sealer along the bottom to repair.  Or pay a garage to replace the whole metal piece that has the foam piece on, which is about £200 per door

• 2 months later...
On 1/2/2019 at 10:05 PM, Menoporsche said:

check under carpet behind seat is not wet, THEN clear drain holes

Funnily enough when I was out in the car today I check the carpet behind the drivers seat and it was sopping wet. Managed to get most of the dampness out with a few towels...what could this be from?

23 minutes ago, ricof said:

Funnily enough when I was out in the car today I check the carpet behind the drivers seat and it was sopping wet. Managed to get most of the dampness out with a few towels...what could this be from?

Could be a blocked drain where the roof mechanism sits, or a puncture in the membrane that the roof sits above. Sometimes one of the rod end joints breaks and the loose end can puncture the membrane although the roof still goes up and down. Check both rods are still in place.

7 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Pax seat out, ACU out and in the airing cupboard with a box of rice, pronto. 

ACU or ECU?? 

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Apparently it’s the alarm control unit. Happy to be corrected. 

Your probably correct, for some reason i had ECU in my thoughts as was chatting with my parents about their cars ECU going t*ts up.

For years we said ECU and then someone came along and corrected us so since then it's been ACU - perhaps we should describe it as the Internal Control Unit, to give another vowel a chance :D

Ah, now on PC I see this is a 987 not a 986. A lot less danger to the XCU, they moved that, we learned recently.

There are a few usual culprits for where and why water enters - easiest way is to spread newspaper around inside car, then sit in it while someone else hoses it down, look for where leaks appear. Best to look for it and solve it, it's really not a healthy situation.

One the 987 it’s the “Rear Control Unit” does roof, spoiler, brake lights, rear lights and there is a rear parking sensor control unit next to it as well. 

Whatever it is. Don’t want it wet for sure. 

Archived