Joe Toth 986.2 Ducktail Spoiler

Saxosim

I came across the Joe Toth Composites 986.2 ducktail spoiler that he now makes and sells and wondered if anyone has tried one or seen one on the flesh?  I got in touch with him via Facebook for some photos and to check the shipping etc and it would work out to about $310 shipped plus whatever duty or VAT gets charged.  It would work out to around £240 then probably another £100 to paint it so it’s not a cheap project but may look excellent.

Any thoughts or has anyone got/ seen one?

Here are a few photos he sent and I think it looks great.

0hsKxtt.jpg

hjSuPrh.jpg

TgWsi2C.jpg

I think they look great. Shame nobody seems to make them in the UK. I considered a Joe Toth one some time ago but costs were uncertain and likely high, as mentioned. Ended up with a much less expensive one, don't remember where it came from? Mine involves removing the existing spoiler and fitting it onto the raising mechanism, as opposed to fitting on top of existing spoiler like this one here.

4 minutes ago, el 3.2S said:

Mine involves removing the existing spoiler and fitting it onto the raising mechanism, as opposed to fitting on top of existing spoiler like this one here.

Much nicer, but I'm biased...

DSC_0007%201_zpsbabljgb7.jpg

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Very similar spoilers available already. 

1 hour ago, el 3.2S said:

I think they look great. Shame nobody seems to make them in the UK. I considered a Joe Toth one some time ago but costs were uncertain and likely high, as mentioned. Ended up with a much less expensive one, don't remember where it came from? Mine involves removing the existing spoiler and fitting it onto the raising mechanism, as opposed to fitting on top of existing spoiler like this one here.

Yes the price and bringing it in from the US is putting me off a bit.  Do you have a photo of the one you went with @el 3.2S

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Very similar spoilers available already. 

Do you have a link to any @Menoporsche?  That one on yours looks great, isn’t that a 987 sport edition?  Thanks 

Edited by Saxosim

1 hour ago, Saxosim said:

Yes the price and bringing it in from the US is putting me off a bit.  Do you have a photo of the one you went with @el 3.2S

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-PORSCHE-1997-2004-BOXSTER-986-LIFT-REAR-WING-TRUNK-SPOILER-Unpainted/252406404923?fits=Model%3ABoxster&epid=717966768&hash=item3ac498173b:g:OGQAAOSwfVpYvtzj:rk:26:pf:0

Mine is the same or very similar to the one in the link above. Quality was ok ish, had to do a little modifying in order to be able to get an allen key in the holes to tighten it down. If you squint from a distance it does not look too bad! Best bit is with the spoiler up it helps aid cooling I think, handy in the summer round these parts.

Pics of mine, won't be to everyone's taste but is completely reversible so no harm done!

imageimageimage

Edited by el 3.2S
  • Like 2

I had one of those eBay ones too but since reverted back to standard. I think the Zeinwing looks the best. 

That’s awesome what spoiler is that please @LonewolfgjpI like that more than the Joe Toth one?

Both our spoilers are the same, they are fibre glass and available painted or unpainted. I would recommend buying it in primer and getting it properly matched as the colour was off on mine.

I think I originally saw these on eBay but ordered it direct. If you google Cayman style spoiler for 986 you should find them.

It was a few years ago and a few cars ago, so I’m sorry if I’m a bit vague 👍

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Both our spoilers are the same, they are fibre glass and available painted or unpainted. I would recommend buying it in primer and getting it properly matched as the colour was off on mine.

I think I originally saw these on eBay but ordered it direct. If you google Cayman style spoiler for 986 you should find them.

Thanks will take a look, edit.....can’t find them, any ideas? 

Edited by Saxosim

2 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I bought mine unpainted and a local bodyshop did a great job on it.

Thanks will take a look, edit.....can’t find them, any ideas? 

Were you looking for a link to the spoiler? If so, I posted one further up in the thread.

There's a funny back story to this. I was looking for one for several years. As far as I can remember this one wasn't advertised for sale as such but I managed to make contact with the owner who is on here. The deal was I do a nice write up with photos etc and I got it for a very good price. However, by the time I got it and by the time I started thinking about painting it GT silver I just lost interest in doing the cosmetic mods. I think I had already removed the Cayman style spoiler gave it away and reverted to standard by this point. Anyway I've had this boxed in my garage for what must be 2 or even 3 years now. Whilst it's in my possession I have opted to give it back to the previous owner who will place up the for sale advert. It's in Artic silver I believe. 

As an aside apart from Meno's and the first post I am 99% sure all the spoilers posted are in fact the same. A few year back there used to be 1 or 2 UK sellers and a couple from Poland. I'm also pretty sure they bought off Alibaba to resell. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

As an aside apart from Meno's and the first post I am 99% sure all the spoilers posted are in fact the same. A few year back there used to be 1 or 2 UK sellers and a couple from Poland. I'm also pretty sure they bought off Alibaba to resell. 

Yes I think you are correct. Some of them offered 3 choices. Unpainted, painted or carbon fibre effect.