Rear Plastic Window Cleaner

½cwt

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this forum, but following some research I purchased some of this cleaner for my rear window as it was a little yellowed and had a lot of scratch scatter in the dark from headlights behind. I have found it to be clearer in the day and a lot less scattered light at night:

Dr. Wack A1 2500 Cabrio Rear Window Polish 100 ml

Available from Amazon for around £20 as well as other places but I'd certainly recommend it to freshen up a plastic rear window.  You'll get several treatments out of one bottle.  I cleaned mine first thoroughly with a mild mix of washing up liquid to thoroughly decontaminate the surface, applied the fluid as instructed, left for 10 mins an buffed it off.  A good early spring job may be rather than considering the cost of a replacement panel or hood.  The research I did suggested this is the same compound that used to be available from Porsche but at more than double the price but I cannot fully verify this, but it does what it claims from my experience.

Novus makes a series of products designed to deal with the problem (if you already have it) and to prevent it in the future. The Novus 1, 2 and 3 products consist of bottles of plastic cleaners in decreasing levels of abrasiveness. The three products are sold in a kit with several microfibre polishing cloths for about $25.

Novus-medium-init-.jpg

If the top is new, only use #1. But if the top is already discolored, you start with the most abrasive cleaner, Novus #3, and a clean rag (I use a cotton washcloth) and you rub it on the surface as if you are polishing the window. Do the outside of the window first, then do the inside. Keep it off the top (but if it gets on, just wipe it off quickly). Let it sit for a while. And then take another clean rag and polish it off. Then do the same using the mildly abrasive #2. And finish up with the non-abrasive #1 which is more of a polish than a cleaner. You should only have to do this once.

In addition to cleaning and polishing the surface of the window, these products seem to put some sort of oil into the plastic that allows them to increase their flexibility and thus resistance to cracking.

For maintenance, I use Novus #1 about once or twice a year, though in truth my car doesn't sit out in the elements much with the top up. I drive mine pretty much only when the weather is nice enough for top down driving. And a have a garage.

Archived