Plastic Window Replacement

Lozzer

Hi All

My mistake of deciding to lower the hood at some point last year when it was plainly too cold resulted in the inevitable crack (lesson learned). I have made do with a repair to keep things water proof but for this year I need to get the screen replaced. Can anyone recommend a good place in the Midlands to get this done - I am based in Worcester ?

Manky thanks

10 hours ago, Toddie said:

Had mine done by @Gary Hubbard of Hubbard’s of Loughborough, top job by top guy was about £220 from memory.

Yep I can also vouch for Hubbard. Had mine done about 3yrs ago and still looks factory fresh. He follows the original stitch line so it looks very original. 

Possibly a bit of a trek from Worcester though! 

• 1 month later...

Not in London but close to the south inside M25 but Carhoodwarehouse I think can do it. 

On 2/15/2019 at 9:35 PM, Toddie said:

Had mine done by @Gary Hubbard of Hubbard’s of Loughborough, top job by top guy was about £220 from memory.

This is really useful, thanks! I’m just down the road.

So how long did it take?

and how big was the replacement window?

did it make a difference to being able to open to the service position? 

@maheng3012I called Carhood Warehouse the other day and, unfortunately, they no longer replace the windows. New hoods only, with a choice of glass or plastic screens.

for those interested, I took my car into KBaggs in Poole the other day for a screen replacement, however, once I got there he said he couldn’t replace as screen had already been changed and had an extra set of stitching where previous replacement had been fitted. Interestingly, he said they had 10 Boxsters undergoing a £50k renovation for a big anniversary celebration, including fitting of original hoods. Some cars were having glass replacement hoods removed to return to original.

25 minutes ago, Paul chocks said:

@maheng3012

for those interested, I took my car into KBaggs in Poole

Interestingly, he said they had 10 Boxsters undergoing a £50k renovation for a big anniversary celebration, including fitting of original hoods. Some cars were having glass replacement hoods removed to return to original.

The anniversary Boxsters are the 'Liquid Metal' cars, built for Porsche Cars GB, by Porsche Centre Bournemouth in conjunction with Poole Accident Repair and Kevin Baggs.

K.Baggs replaced the roof on my first 986, glass ilo plastic window, and I can't fault their work

My plastic screen had been replaced in the past by a cheapo operation that had bodged the stitching and used the wrong thread. This made a mess of the hood and the stitching failed. I ended up putting a new roof on as the old one was starting to look pretty faded and let the car down (plus I didn't like the blue colour on my car)

@Loz987 I booked ahead and Gary did it on a Saturday morning took about 2-3 hours, the replacement window is exactly the same size as the original 986 plastic rear window, and he said that he uses the same plastic as OE comes from Switzerland if i remember correctly. He completely removes the hood and does the work on a bench and stitches into the same holes.

As regards the service position i don't venture in there! Tony Greatorex who services the car has never complained, so i guess it's normal but more pliable. as it's newer. Had this done nearly 3 years ago now and window is still in fine fetal, no leaks etc.

Archived