Man maths - new(ish) vs old

Lozzaroo

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go as new as you can afford.

I bought a cheap 987 S high miler.

Spent over 4k in a year getting her right.

Got the bug but then sold her (px) for a 2016 low mileage 981 S .

The change wasn't particularly planned but my dream colour, wheels n spec came up. 

It had to be! 

My old car is still forsale at a trader. Someone will get a great car there 

I started with a 987.1, with only 50k miles on, needed a water pump and new tyres so spent a couple of grand in 10 months.  I got frustrated at the buttons inside which are very dated, so like a lot of stories already got the bug and upgraded to a 981.  Love it, haven’t spent anything but it only had 10k miles on.  Haven’t looked back Tbf. It’s such a nicer car in almost every way, inside and out.

On 3/17/2019 at 7:17 PM, tonigmr2 said:

I started with a 987.1, with only 50k miles on, needed a water pump and new tyres so spent a couple of grand in 10 months.  I got frustrated at the buttons inside which are very dated, so like a lot of stories already got the bug and upgraded to a 981.  Love it, haven’t spent anything but it only had 10k miles on.  Haven’t looked back Tbf. It’s such a nicer car in almost every way, inside and out.

I think it's very personal. I like my 981 but the drive is very very different from the earlier Porsches. It is much less engaging and more detached in the newer car. The noise is good and the c*ck pit better for sure and It's probably quicker but the feedback is much more muted. 

Glad to see that, I thought it was just me - when I drove a 981 I found it much more detached than my 987, quite a cruiser. Didn't understand how everyone here praised it so much.

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Glad to see that, I thought it was just me - when I drove a 981 I found it much more detached than my 987, quite a cruiser. Didn't understand how everyone here praised it so much.

Unless you drive it like you stole it ....it's a different beast when you do 😎

Yep, I have had two 987's and two 981's, the 987 is a more raw car, the 981 more refined.

This can translate to the 981 feeling less exciting, until you really open her up when she feels the better car than the 987, less ragged on the limit and easier to drive fast.

Better noise too, the PSE is better sounding on the 981.

Having come from a 986 2.7 ...then a 986 3.2s … I have found the back end slides out nice under power even better now ive gone to the 981s :)

16 minutes ago, mrbikerdood said:

Having come from a 986 2.7 ...then a 986 3.2s … I have found the back end slides out nice under power even better now ive gone to the 981s :)

you missed out the 987 altogether si...

i find the 981 a pleasurable upgrade . it's fantastic :worship:

20 minutes ago, fat haggis said:

you missed out the 987 altogether si...

i find the 981 a pleasurable upgrade . it's fantastic :worship:

Yes I did...… shame but my wife loves the 981.... drives it like its been stolen and scares the cr*p out of me when im in the passenger seat!

On 3/7/2019 at 9:57 AM, Lozzaroo said:

Hi, I'm new here but have been reading lots of posts over the past few weeks as I decide whether to dive into Boxster ownership.

Initially I thought I'd just get a cheap 986 or 986s, but I now have reservations about reliability/things falling off given the various threads on here. Most people seem to say to budget £200 per month for maintenance or repairs. But if that's the case, using basic man maths, I may as well get finance and use that money to to pay it off, and get a 5 year old 981.

kinda true actually. 986 are fun & raw, affordable cars, but they do cost a lot to run. If you are lucky, you might get a few years without doing anything, if not you could spend loads. I really liked both 981 and 987.2. Much better engine, properly designed and I personally would enjoy PDK if the car is a daily-driver. But!! If you are really pushing your personal budget, I would try to see 987 spyder or much older generation 993 or 964. I really think they are something.

The 981 is fast and has loads of grip and you can get it sliding around a bit if you lean on the traction control but you have to be really pushing. If you are just pootling around then there is none of that. Its still a nice car and if you want a car which can be civilised and a bit muted for boring urban crawl but can be ragged like mad max on good curvy country roads then yes its difficult to find something better. But for me living in a city the opportunities to go to full attack mode don't really exist unless I go looking for them.  I can make a special trip to look for these interesting roads but there are always too many other cars around which are all going a lot slower. I find the chatter chatter and feedback from the slower older car interesting even at slow speeds and therefore what I'm trying to say I think is that I can get more joy driving slower in the older car where as the 981 has to be driven quicker to excite me and the opportunities to do that are few and far between and then the nagging fear of losing my license takes most of that excitement away.

On 3/13/2019 at 7:39 AM, BoxsterSPete said:

I bought a cheap 987 S high miler.

Spent over 4k in a year getting her right.

My old car is still forsale at a trader. Someone will get a great car there 

What work did this car have done?

23 hours ago, ATM said:

What work did this car have done?

2 coil springs 

Steering part and alignment.

Cross over coolant pipes

Wheel refurb with 2 rear tyres.

Major service Inc gear oil and brake fluid change.

New wheel studs

Alternator and belt 

Windscreen wipers 

Archived