Man maths - new(ish) vs old

Lozzaroo

17 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

@mrbikerdood all very cool looking cars! The black to red cars look like you inverted the colours haha

I may have invented the stripes lol :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I went from a 2006 987.1S which didn't need much upkeep at all (couple of tyres, a window regulator, new radiators and a service or 2 really) - I had it for 2 1/2 years and loved it - it was really a great step into Porsche ownership with no unexpected bills.  I had the same thinking as OP as really wanted a 981 as my 987 might start costing money - my head was in the sand a bit, and got a lovely December 2012 981S for a good price.  Fast Forward on 7 months and I've spent £980 on Michelin PS4S's all round and just over £1k on some weird VTS (Vehicle Tracking System) replacement which needed the car off the road for a week... so 981's might be modern and you think in need of less maintenance than a 986, but I'm with @Greenman 100% that they are full of tech, and need maintenance like any other 5/6 year old car then you need to take that into account when doing the (man) maths.

All that said - I love it, and grin every time I drive it, and look back at it every time I park :)

There's man maths and pure maths. You have less options with the later as man maths stretches budgets! You are in man maths world, so its a choice what you can afford.

Look at all the cars out there and get the one that you want the most. It could be an early 986 that someone has had for years and meticulously maintained and up-graded/improved or a standard 981 with a couple of options or more likely something in between.

Another thing worth doing is driving a good version of the likely candidates. With an older car, unless you know what good is, spotting bad is a bit harder. Have a word with a dealer who has a variety of good cars for sale and be honest with them about not being sure what you want and see if they will let you drive a couple of options.

Bikerdood alludes to a very real factor in that once you’ve got in your first Porsche, you often stay in them so the choice isn’t necessary binary.

if faced with your choice, I’d go for the 986 and get to know the marque and acclimatise to the ongoing costs.

The most affordable 981’s are he highest milers so there are going to be maintainance items coming up anyway.

No matter what you can pick a Boxster up for, you still have to care for it like a £40k premium sports car because it will always act like one on the road! 😃

13 minutes ago, Lozzaroo said:

Spotted that one, it has me drooling. Spec is mega, love the colour and wheels. It'll mostly be motorway miles given the age. 

Very similar to mine except I don’t have the Loud switch 😫and I got mine this time last year. I got mine at 66000 and also as above it was motorways 🛣 mostly.  It’s now on 77000 and it’s my second car. I think it’s a billy bargain. Why is It in the uk if a car has miles on it and fully serviced,  they run 🏃‍♀️ Other nations think nothing of high miles. 👜

10 minutes ago, fat haggis said:

Why is It in the uk if a car has miles on it and fully serviced,  they run 🏃‍♀️ Other nations think nothing of high miles. 👜

I think it must be a British cultural thing, people have long memories of British Leyland build quality and reliability ....

I have a 2012 981S with 72k on the clock, mostly motorway miles by the previous owner. Only issues so far are a burned-out VVT solenoid (took a while to diagnose as no specific fault code was generated for this) and failed fuel pump which combined cost £2K to fix. So maybe worth checking these peripheral items if buying a 981 at this age/mileage.

15 minutes ago, Lozzaroo said:

There's also this one, which is not quite the same on spec, but has half the mileage.

https://www.ashgood.co.uk/vehicle-details/Porsche-Boxster-U1104

OR they have a 987 Gen 2 which looks nice as well.

https://www.ashgood.co.uk/vehicle-details/Porsche-Boxster-U1183

I got my car from ashgood. Good people. And some lovely pork. A bit travel involved from Oban the Windsor. But it was nice driving the 981 back. 😎

1 hour ago, r1flyguy said:

When I first saw that image I thought the silver bit around the car was the platform the car was sat on.

Then I had a better look and :o

Then I noticed the ladies...

Careful now OP. I started out with a 986 last spring and fell in love with boxsters. It was going to cost too much to remain viable so moved it on. 

I then thought a nice 987 would fill the void, but man maths took over and I now have a spiffing 981 Black Edition. Twice my original  budget and on finance. 

Poorer, but very happy.

44 minutes ago, LordGrover said:

Poorer, but very happy.

That’s the spirit :rocks:

1 hour ago, LordGrover said:

Careful now OP. I started out with a 986 last spring and fell in love with boxsters. It was going to cost too much to remain viable so moved it on. 

I then thought a nice 987 would fill the void, but man maths took over and I now have a spiffing 981 Black Edition. Twice my original  budget and on finance. 

Poorer, but very happy.

I can feel that this is the direction I'm heading in.

I actually once bought a lovely 996 turbo when I originally started looking for 'a runabout'. It went like this in my thought process - well if I'm getting this, I might as well stretch to that:

Focus mk1 ST170, Focus Mk2 ST, BMW E46 M3, then M3 CS, 996 C2, 996 C4S and ended up with the turbo!

6 hours ago, Lozzaroo said:

There's also this one, which is not quite the same on spec, but has half the mileage.

https://www.ashgood.co.uk/vehicle-details/Porsche-Boxster-U1104

OR they have a 987 Gen 2 which looks nice as well.

https://www.ashgood.co.uk/vehicle-details/Porsche-Boxster-U1183

That 987.2 seems like good value for the history and spec and should be easy to sell in a year if you fancy an upgrade. Suspect the 981 is missing some history as well as the relatively low spec.

It does seem to be a bit of a theme with the 981 that problems always seem to cost in multiples of £1k, whereas for earlier cars it tends to be multiples of £500🤔. Worth preparing yourself for those sort of bills.

5 hours ago, Lozzaroo said:

I can feel that this is the direction I'm heading in.

I actually once bought a lovely 996 turbo when I originally started looking for 'a runabout'. It went like this in my thought process - well if I'm getting this, I might as well stretch to that:

Focus mk1 ST170, Focus Mk2 ST, BMW E46 M3, then M3 CS, 996 C2, 996 C4S and ended up with the turbo!

Chronic mission creep :lol: but well played!

On 3/8/2019 at 5:42 PM, Lozzaroo said:

I asked, and the blue autotrader car comes with a 12 month warranty, which is nice. But take your point about the 987.2, I really like that as well.

A standard warranty is a bit pants on a Porsche as it wont cover much if it has a max claim limit as they all do. Most people say the only warranty worth having is a Porsche one. Saying that it's better than nothing. Obviously the 981 and gen 2 cars with the dfi engine don't have any scary stories of engine destruction attached to them just yet so seem like a safer bet without a warranty. I bought my 981 3 years ago and i like it but it doesn't have the same feel as the older cars. So I went and bought an early 996 which has bags of character but it's cost me a fortune in maintenance. The early 996 also has the least risky version of the original water cooled engine. Anyway I bought my 981 private and therefore no warranty. It's had a few problems but nothing major:

Sticky brake pedal binding brakes on

Fan / demister stops working if car unused for a couple of weeks

Failed MOT on 2 bottom arms

2012 car 38k miles

Archived