718 Speed limit display

Higgy

Those of you who have the speed limit display option do you have the limit shown on the PCM display as well as the instrument multifunction screen.

This is what the configurator, and I believe the manual, claims the option will do, but I can only get a showing on the multifunction screen. I know on my old 981 it was showing in both places.

Don't think it's relevant but the car is a 2019MY manual 718S

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2019 at 2:40 PM, Higgy said:

Those of you who have the speed limit display option do you have the limit shown on the PCM display as well as the instrument multifunction screen.

This is what the configurator, and I believe the manual, claims the option will do, but I can only get a showing on the multifunction screen. I know on my old 981 it was showing in both places.

Don't think it's relevant but the car is a 2019MY manual 718S

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

I don't know what it's like in the 718, but in the 981, the paid-for Speed Limit Indicator option - where a camera spots all speed signs you pass and display the current speed limit based on these - says it can be displayed on the RH screen in the binnacle, and on the main large screen, as long as you have PCM (which was an option on the 981). I think on the 718 the PCM is fitted as standard, but possibly that the satnav part of it was still an option? (I might be worng here). If that is the case, then a) do you have the satnav option, and b) if not, is it possible that (a bit like the 981), the large-screen display might only be available if you had the satnav route displayed on there, so it wouldn't work without having satnav?

3 hours ago, Pezky said:

Mine has the option- only shown on multifunction display. Wish I could switch if off as it covers some of the info on the screen.

On my 981 I don't have the paid-for option, I just use the feature that displays the current limit based instead on the satnav database. This I believe can only be displayed on the RH screen in the binnacle, NOT on the large screen. But on the 981 at least, this free display can be switched on or off (somewhere in the PCM setup screens). It is a bit odd the way it's overlaid on top of whataever was being displayed, but I still find it useful, and I usually use that screen to display various gauges, with battery voltage at the bottom, so as I recall the speed limit display just obscures the decimal places of the voltage, which is no big deal. (Incidentally, Porsche don't seem to go out of their way to publicise this feature, and on the 981 it comes switched off by default - presumably as it comes free with the PCM and might take sales away from the paid-for option.) Perhaps they think though that if you paid for the camera-based option, you wouldn't ever want to switch it off :)

5 hours ago, Jon61 said:

On my 981 I don't have the paid-for option, I just use the feature that displays the current limit based instead on the satnav database. This I believe can only be displayed on the RH screen in the binnacle, NOT on the large screen. But on the 981 at least, this free display can be switched on or off (somewhere in the PCM setup screens). It is a bit odd the way it's overlaid on top of whataever was being displayed, but I still find it useful, and I usually use that screen to display various gauges, with battery voltage at the bottom, so as I recall the speed limit display just obscures the decimal places of the voltage, which is no big deal. (Incidentally, Porsche don't seem to go out of their way to publicise this feature, and on the 981 it comes switched off by default - presumably as it comes free with the PCM and might take sales away from the paid-for option.) Perhaps they think though that if you paid for the camera-based option, you wouldn't ever want to switch it off :)

same on the Cayenne which is a 62 plate...its stupid it obscures things

After some initial confusion, and different answers from Customer Service, this is what Porsche agree is the situation with the 718. They have changed the configurator wording accordingly -

With the new PCM and no speed limit indication option 9Q6 the speed limit can be displayed as a small icon on the PCM map display, there will be no option to display it in the instrument cluster display multi function display. If you have option 9Q6 then the speed limit can only be displayed as an (configurable) icon in the lower right of the MFD and as a main menu item in that same display, however, it cannot be displayed on the PCM map display. The reason for this is that unlike the UK,other European countries like France and Germany have different speed limits for motorways when raining and also they have signs showing the speed limits for towing. The speed limit indication option can recognise all these different signs and display up to 4 icons on the cluster display and in the main menu display for speed limits on the cluster MFD. Showing 4 icons on the map would clutter up the display. This is where it's different to the previous generation of PCM where the camera detected signs are displayed on the PCM but in the guidance display as well as on the cluster display.

Archived