Hi all, New to here, Any advice please re roof scuff.....

MAC99V

Heh, Not long got my recent purchase back from a private sale, 987 Gen2 'S'.

After being assured all was good...by the private seller (and god only knows why i didn't get an inspection), took it in to a local 'ish' Indie 'Project 9' for a health check to make sure all was good, before possibly continuing it's Main Dealer stamp to keep it's history 'Porsche'. The bad news came in at £3.5k's worth of work, new brake lines, coffin boxes, etc etc.....I was shown the photo's of under the car and it clearly hadn't been maintained well enough, so, after my initial purchase whcih was just outside of budget, i got hit with the painful bill.

Cars back and all is ace apart from one very small niggle...there's a scuff in the roof fabric, not necessarily a tear and It hasn't gone all the way through and it's about the size of a 50p piece, but to me it's an obvious blemish i'd rather do without. Any suggestions / recommendations on a type of adhesive to keep it flat and not so 'fluffy'? 

Any advice greatly appreciated. All the best, Mark.

one.png.19f1c0cb5c10b628fd4b8c2a618afca1.png351044681_ScreenShot2019-03-28at15_53_01.png.c4238ae1c71ebb4d34ab8ff9ed863b70.pngtwo.png.03d9c5cc558c59965e1991df00c476d0.pngIMG_8829.jpg.3e738156f82389a1638eda251bdb7f64.jpg

Hi and thanks, scuffs just behind the passenger door.

Did see in the paperwork on the car, had some alteration done by Porsche a year or so back. So could have been rubbing or a catch?.....It's at the bottom left of the image, barely noticeable...other then to me....

IMG_8828.jpg

Looks to me like it may have been caught. Having just replaced the pushrod end caps on mine it's possible yours have broken at some point and roof has been caught in mechanism. None of which helps with a remedy. Unless someone comes up with a suggestion for an adhesive to flatten it (without making it even more obvious) i would leave well alone.

Yeh, get what your saying, as it’s small, could just leave it as it’s not gone through the fabric, looked at a few yacht canvas adhesives, but write ups say it goes shined, so that’s a no go as it’ll make it more obvious....cheers, m

3 minutes ago, MAC99V said:

Yeh, get what your saying, as it’s small, could just leave it as it’s not gone through the fabric

I'd leave alone as well I think - apart from possibly using a nail scissors to cut off any particularly fluffy ends sticking up. There's a separate waterproof layer beneath the fabric anyway - the roof doesn't rely on the outer skin for waterproofing, so apart from appearances, unless a wayward pushrod has gone right through the hood at some point, you should be fine.

I think as a Diy I would leave it alone but if you can’t maybe try one of those fluff shavers to flatten it down a bit but it may make it worse.

Maybe contact a local car trimmer, they may have some sort of invisible repair technique for canvas. My local one is Aldridge trim, so If you have someone like them local I would try them 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Archived