100k 987S - not had a clutch change - should I worry about IMS failure?

R888 BWN

Hi All,

I bought a 987S recently with 100k on the clock and it hasn’t had a new clutch yet so no IMS bearing change either. 

Should I be worried and get this done quick? Or is it unlikely to be an issue now the car is this far along? 

Its just been serviced so didn’t want to put it in for a clutch until the next service in a years time but I am a little worried the IMS could fail and write me off financially.

Thanks for any advice 

8EBD7610-4329-49E2-B0BB-CA832D2648B8.jpeg

If the clutch needs doing it would be worth considering replacing the RMS and IMS bearing as a large portion of the labour is sunk in doing the clutch. However as its done 100k miles you could take the view its not a bad engine, therefore it's unlikely to go now.  By replacing the IMS bearing, if the work isn't done accurately, you could introduce problems that weren't there.  I'd replace the RMS at the same time as clutch anyway.  I'd be inclined to take it to a very reputable Porsche indie who has done lots of IMS work and seek there guidance. If the clutch is fine currently forget about it and just drive it hard! Is it a 3.2 or 3.4?

I'm not sure what the current prices are but say a clutch is £600 on its own, RMS is probably another £100 and then to fit a new bearing is another £600 to £1200 depending on where you go, you just need to way up - is it worth paying that for less probabability of failure? It doesn't completely remove the probability of failure imho, if the current bearing that comes out showed no signs of wear then it would probably have never failed anyway however if it is shot then the one going in will probably wear in the same way eventually.  And don't forget these engines let go for plenty of other reasons........for me it's not worth worrying about.

1 hour ago, R888 BWN said:

Should I be worried and get this done quick? Or is it unlikely to be an issue now the car is this far along? 

For me, the latter.

If I'm wrong, let us know :) 

When was it registered? They changed to a better bearing later in 2005 where the risk reduces substantially, but as it's made it to 100k I'd leave it well alone. If you do get the clutch done, they could inspect the bearing then for peace of mind.

If it aint broke, don’t fix it!

I would leave a 100k IMS well alone unless it and/or the RMS was showing signs of leaking/failure when exposed during an essential clutch removal.

My car is a 2005 (05 plate) and incredibly has the later IMS (deemed safer) and is on 70k and the original clutch. I’m just going to forget about it and drive it like it’s not there. If the clutch goes then I’ll chat to the Indie who also supplied the car) and go from there.

For now though, just leave it and drive it IMO.

This is the quandary I find myself in, i've an 05 plate 2.7. Engine number says it's a MY06 which should have the revised bearing, but you never really know. Mine is on 85k and original clutch as far as I know. 

One day I'm firmly in the mindset of Meno and Jason and the next I'm convinced I felt judder lifting in first and that I should get the clutch RMS and the flywheel done all at once and the IMS inspected. 

If you're going to do it it is well worth ensuring the garage know what they're doing. In fact there was an excellent post just the other day from one of JMG Porsche team explaining that not all IMS upgrades are equal and there is a lot of other work that may be required. I am on mobile atm and can't find it but will try and link it later. 

Don’t forget to have the flywheel changed too - it’ll need it and you’ll be wasting your money if you change the clutch and not the flywheel. Trust me - been there, done that.

If you look in the discussion above you will probably find that your engine has the latest, more reliable, single row IMS bearing. You will need your engine number that can be found on your V5 to confirm. The latest bearing is not replaceable without taking the engine out so not a serviceable part but failures are much less likely so nothing to worry about. I was delighted to read that thread as I have an 05 987S as well.

Archived