Knock knock

Andy9376

Last week I was parking and had it on full lock and heard a knocking sound behind me - driver side. I tried to replicate it and nothing. Today I was driving and was turning right and heard it again. Any ideas? It’s a manual 987. Had new rear tyres between the two incidents and they couldn’t spot anything and suspension was fine. Passed MOT in between the two events too. 

Definitely behind you? At low speed on full lock the front tyres skip over the ground a bit. It's called the Ackerman effect and is perfectly normal. If it was definitely from the rear I'm at a bit of a loss.

1 hour ago, AMacdonald said:

Definitely behind you? At low speed on full lock the front tyres skip over the ground a bit. It's called the Ackerman effect and is perfectly normal. If it was definitely from the rear I'm at a bit of a loss.

Yeah it’s not the effect you describe. Has that for years. Today it was going round a bend at 20mph. I wondered if it was something looose on the suspension or a bolt loose. Or even water pump but wouldn’t expect to hear that on one side?

Tuning fork aka rear control arm, will never find the issue under load or able to replicate in situ, once removed / replaced cures the issue.I have found several times.

7 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Tuning fork aka rear control arm, will never find the issue under load or able to replicate in situ, once removed / replaced cures the issue.I have found several times.

Is that expensive to fix?

The part itself is fairly cheap (<£100 for OEM spec) and it's held on with two bolts. The front one can be a bit of a faff as access is tight but even if you take it to a garage a competent one shouldn't need more than an hour or two to do both sides. Do you notice the "rattling snooker balls" noise at low speed on uneven roads?

20 minutes ago, AMacdonald said:

The part itself is fairly cheap (<£100 for OEM spec) and it's held on with two bolts. The front one can be a bit of a faff as access is tight but even if you take it to a garage a competent one shouldn't need more than an hour or two to do both sides. Do you notice the "rattling snooker balls" noise at low speed on uneven roads?

Thanks a lot. I’ve only heard it twice but quite pronounced both times. Wondered if it could be a ball joint.

Archived