small puddle under middle of my Box

Grumpyoldman

So when i took car out this evening i noticed a small puddle under middle of car -at about level of windscreen -cleared it up with some kitchen roll -looks like water -not pink coolant -then after a drive and parking in garage for half an hour same thing again

A\c was on during both drives -ie before and after this evening drives -so is this coming from the a\c -is there a drain there -hard for me to see -see encl pic where can see puddle

My mind is racing now with horrible thoughts ......

Any assisitance would be most welcome to bring my heart rate down

cheers

IMG_0511.JPG

12 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Probably just condensate from the AC pipes. They all do that.

Oh thank goodness for that -what a relief -i was getting Boxster  anxiety syndrome (BOS)

Very stressful indeed i can tell owning my first Porsche

What about the fans coming at at start up and at low speed -is that normal as well -ie due to lack of air flowing accross the rads in such circumtances given its mid engined ?

The car is holding its temp just fine in the middle -but i read that the temp guage is heavily damped so is pretty useless guide

Reassurance would be very wellcome

No, the cooling fans should not come on at start up and you should get down the mile long bumpy lane on start up without them cutting in. Different coming home after  "spirited driving" could well imagine they would come on while going for a mile at 10mph. Can't help on the puddle my 986 did not have A/C but could be I guess.

"Don't try this at home" caveat caveat..... "don't drink it" "bad thing" 

Dip your fingers in the "puddle" - does it feel a bit greasy? - touch a finger to your tongue - does it taste sweet? - if so - it's coolant.

If it tastes of nothing, like rainwater, it's a/c condensate

If it tastes soapy - it's screen wash.

Windscreen washers working ok? - maybe a block has caused a pipe to pop off - accessible in the frunk.Xenon headlight washers (if you have them) also known to block and leak.

But I reckon its A/C - check your coolant in the morning when its cold for peace of mind - and don't worry about it.

Oh - and you are not alone - had the same panic on mine.

You will want to also look out for "car makes a terrible noise from the front wheels like a tyre slipping/suspension clunking when moving slowly on full lock" - that one is called the ackerman effect and yup - they all do it - more so on certain tyres, and in colder weather - but I for one have been spooked by that one.

Just now, Grumpyoldman said:

so i presume ac was on at start up tonight -it wasnt in eco mode so i guess the defualt is ac on -is that correct ?

yup - eco is a/c off

2 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Windscreen washers working ok? - maybe a block has caused a pipe to pop off - accessible in the frunk.Xenon headlight washers (if you have them) also known to block and leak.

But I reckon its A/C - check your coolant in the morning when its cold for peace of mind - and don't worry about it.

ok mine is povert spec so doesnt have front washers -will check washers tomorrow to see if working -coolant level seems ok but its worrying having sich a big puddle -ive seen sc puddles before on other cars and it doesnt look like this

remember it's all a different layout - some cars drop a/c from the front, past the exhaust - lose a lot in evaporation - boxsters are "different" - they make funny noises and you sit in front of the engine - they get hot, they smell funny and yup, now and again they have issues, the worry area for coolant leaks is just in front of the front wheels - but the trays underneath mean it can drip out anywhere - if its dropped a significant amount - you will see the coolant level drop - if not - just drive it some more and don't let the porsche paranoia get to you - could be worse - you might be pricing up a new DPF for a Diesel Mondeo - or a clutch.

4 minutes ago, Paul P said:

remember it's all a different layout - some cars drop a/c from the front, past the exhaust - lose a lot in evaporation - boxsters are "different" - they make funny noises and you sit in front of the engine - they get hot, they smell funny and yup, now and again they have issues, the worry area for coolant leaks is just in front of the front wheels - but the trays underneath mean it can drip out anywhere - if its dropped a significant amount - you will see the coolant level drop - if not - just drive it some more and don't let the porsche paranoia get to you - could be worse - you might be pricing up a new DPF for a Diesel Mondeo - or a clutch.

ok will see what tomorrow brings -thanks again Paul

8 hours ago, Grumpyoldman said:

oh dear i can see its still dripping from the tray above so that cant be the air con at this stage given its 3 hours since i parked it up in the garage

looks like im going to have to get this checked out asap

Hold on.....

If you checked and it isn't sweet.....

8 hours ago, Grumpyoldman said:

just checked its not sweet but puddle has def got bigger -hmm

wonder if its screen wash

You did, and it isn't coolant.

Nor is it coloured in any way from your description - so it is unlikely to be refrigerant for the A/C (usually a bright green)

Do you have additive in your screen wash?  

If so it's unlikely to be colourless, odourless and tasteless (Health and Safety see) - so assuming you do have screen wash additive it probably isn't screen wash either...

So how come you're still seeing drips of what seems to be plain ol' H2O several hours after you've parked up?

If it is H2O then it's most likely condensate from the A/C - the drain is below the car somewhere ahead of the windscreen, the condensate is dripping on to an under tray and it's taking a while for that to pool and then run away and out of the under tray - there won't be a huge amount of liquid and if your car's level or at least level'ish then it could take time for it to find it's way out.

All that's easy for me to say because like so many long term owners on here I've been through (and feel) the pain you're describing.  

By all means get someone to take a look - it's probably a good idea to get your concerns addressed and the reassurance that brings.

If you do that I'd recommend getting under the car with the mechanic/technician/fitter (whatever) and have them walk you through the underside of your car - they're probably going to drop some of the trays so you'll get a good look around.  Do this and you'll feel a lot happier about what goes on under there, the various pipes etc and you'll see the condition of the car for yourself.  

Can only give this advice because that's exactly what my indie did for me when the exhaust swap happened 10+ years ago - I was a lot more relaxed about the car after that.

4 hours ago, map said:

Hold on.....

If you checked and it isn't sweet.....

You did, and it isn't coolant.

Nor is it coloured in any way from your description - so it is unlikely to be refrigerant for the A/C (usually a bright green)

Do you have additive in your screen wash?  

If so it's unlikely to be colourless, odourless and tasteless (Health and Safety see) - so assuming you do have screen wash additive it probably isn't screen wash either...

So how come you're still seeing drips of what seems to be plain ol' H2O several hours after you've parked up?

If it is H2O then it's most likely condensate from the A/C - the drain is below the car somewhere ahead of the windscreen, the condensate is dripping on to an under tray and it's taking a while for that to pool and then run away and out of the under tray - there won't be a huge amount of liquid and if your car's level or at least level'ish then it could take time for it to find it's way out.

All that's easy for me to say because like so many long term owners on here I've been through (and feel) the pain you're describing.  

By all means get someone to take a look - it's probably a good idea to get your concerns addressed and the reassurance that brings.

If you do that I'd recommend getting under the car with the mechanic/technician/fitter (whatever) and have them walk you through the underside of your car - they're probably going to drop some of the trays so you'll get a good look around.  Do this and you'll feel a lot happier about what goes on under there, the various pipes etc and you'll see the condition of the car for yourself.  

Can only give this advice because that's exactly what my indie did for me when the exhaust swap happened 10+ years ago - I was a lot more relaxed about the car after that.

thanks for the reassurance and advice -so this am there was about another 20-30 ml in the tray i put there before i went to bed -i poured into a glass and its nice clear water -no taste -so im guessing it must be AC -coolant level was same

I cant see upper level on the coolant guage but i can see the upper level with the cap off [ita about 4-5 cm from the level of the cap itself ]and it hasn't moved-maybe i overfilled it last night in panic-ie maybe  the coolant is now  above the upper level on the gauge -should i remove some and then recheck the gauge ?

Checked the wash reservoir and it full .

6 minutes ago, Grumpyoldman said:

update -went for drive tonight in eco mode no a/c and guess what no puddle -thanks to all who reassured me -might sleep better tonight now

That’s because the AC coolant level is now empty lol does the AC pump make a noise when running and is it ice cold when on?

Archived