Fuel economy

Propofol

So my 2007 Boxster S is now at 136,500 miles. The car is now returning 360 miles to a tank on normal unleaded fuel. No change in driving style, has been doing this before the warmer weather too...

Used to return 320 to a tank on average....

No change to usual journeys etc. 

Anyone else noticed this as the car gets older? Air con hasn't worked for six years so that's not contributing.

Just curious.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/23/2019 at 12:08 PM, Propofol said:

So my 2007 Boxster S is now at 136,500 miles. The car is now returning 360 miles to a tank on normal unleaded fuel. No change in driving style, has been doing this before the warmer weather too...

Used to return 320 to a tank on average....

No change to usual journeys etc. 

Anyone else noticed this as the car gets older? Air con hasn't worked for six years so that's not contributing.

Just curious.

You are clearly not driving it properly....best I have had out of mine is 302 miles :)

5 minutes ago, Propofol said:

Still driving it hard, I don't  normally have a passenger. Absolutely no change to driving style. 

You might not think you've changed your driving style, but I reckon you have over time and when you noticed the improvement on MPG, you're subconsciously aiming to keep the better MPG. A bit like those who fill up with Shell V Power and then drive like miss daisy to 'prove' it's more economical than regular because of the improved MPG.

*lights fuse and retires to safe distance* 🤣

Just now, Nobbie said:

You might not think you've changed your driving style, but I reckon you have over time and when you noticed the improvement on MPG, you're subconsciously aiming to keep the better MPG. A bit like those who fill up with Shell V Power and then drive like miss daisy to 'prove' it's more economical than regular because of the improved MPG.

*lights fuse and retires to safe distance* 🤣

This ^^ I have now noticed absolutely zero difference in MPG now in my 987.1 S using regular vs super UL

honestly no change. If anything driving it in a more spirited fashion now the weather has warmed a little and the roads less slippy.

Only thing I can think of is the engine has loosened up or that the new clutch from 20K ago and water pump have less resistance...but it is a recent change.

Do you really do the same sort of journeys under the same driving conditions over every tankful? I reset the MPG indicator at every fill up. That varies from about 17-35 mpg, depending on use.😀

1 hour ago, DaveEFI said:

Do you really do the same sort of journeys under the same driving conditions over every tankful? I reset the MPG indicator at every fill up. That varies from about 17-35 mpg, depending on use.😀

Shell Fuel Saver =  17 mpg

Shell V Power =   35 mpg

:lol: :bana:;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, Propofol said:

Still driving it hard, I don't  normally have a passenger. Absolutely no change to driving style. 

Realistically, cannot possibly be driving it 'hard' getting well over 300 miles from a tank. 360 miles works out to an average of 25mpg. You'd have to drive pretty carefully to achieve that as a long term average. 

I averaged 16mpg over 70,000 miles in the 987.1 3.4 and have averaged 18mpg over 10k miles in my current 987.1 3.2, so have a pretty good feel for what sort of range you get driving these 987 cars hard. That's about 225 and 250 miles range respectively. Like I said, if you're well over 300 miles, that's fairly gentle driving in the context of the type of car we're talking about.

9 hours ago, Pothole said:

Realistically, cannot possibly be driving it 'hard' getting well over 300 miles from a tank. 360 miles works out to an average of 25mpg. You'd have to drive pretty carefully to achieve that as a long term average. 

I averaged 16mpg over 70,000 miles in the 987.1 3.4 and have averaged 18mpg over 10k miles in my current 987.1 3.2, so have a pretty good feel for what sort of range you get driving these 987 cars hard. That's about 225 and 250 miles range respectively. Like I said, if you're well over 300 miles, that's fairly gentle driving in the context of the type of car we're talking about.

I have to say i can get mid 20's MPG out of mine but only on motorway trips sitting at 60-70mph and I agree you have to be exceptionally smooth and gentle.

That being said the worst I have had out of my 3.2S is a smidge under 21MPG but then again i dont drive it like I stole it all the time simply because I will lose my license :)

Is the 986 tank smaller?  It costs me about £65 to fill up with 98 octane but I rarely get more than 260 miles to a tank.

The trip says I'm getting 27mpg average and I've not reset it since October last year :mellow:

I tend to drive it as a mix of spirited and cruising  :D

Jon

Just now, Blues N Twos said:

Is the 986 tank smaller?  It costs me about £65 to fill up with 98 octane but I rarely get more than 260 miles to a tank.

The trip says I'm getting 27mpg average and I've not reset it since October last year :mellow:

I tend to drive it as a mix of spirited and cruising  :D

Jon

On MY2006 987.1 3.2S the computer is about +2-3 MPG our over real world calculation....so if it says 27 then its more like 23/4....if you have not reset it then it wont be anywhere close :) 

On 5/29/2019 at 2:38 PM, DaveEFI said:

I reset the MPG indicator at every fill up.

OK, utter muppet question - how do you do that?

PS took me over 18 months with a previous car to find the different drive modes...

9 minutes ago, Rob™ said:

OK, utter muppet question - how do you do that?

PS took me over 18 months with a previous car to find the different drive modes...

You use the stalk under the indicator one....either push it forward and hold or pull it back..I dont recall

14 hours ago, Rob™ said:

Thanks - will give it a go in the morning.

Knowing what your normal MPG is over a tank is well worth it. If it suddenly gets worse (and you've nor been doing tracks days etc 😀) you're getting early warning something might be wrong.

20 hours ago, Nick_McUK said:

either push it forward and hold or pull it back.

It's a pull it back... display flashes after a second or two, then turns to dashes. Wonder what else I don't know about my car?

Anyway, 50-odd miles, mix of motorway, A-road, towns and queueing and its a nudge under 30 with a 2.7/6-speed box. Pushed when I could, but not a lot of that on the daily commute. I think the queueing was the biggest downer, both in terms of consumption and driving pleasure!

4 minutes ago, Rob™ said:

It's a pull it back... display flashes after a second or two, then turns to dashes. Wonder what else I don't know about my car?

Anyway, 50-odd miles, mix of motorway, A-road, towns and queueing and its a nudge under 30 with a 2.7/6-speed box. Pushed when I could, but not a lot of that on the daily commute. I think the queueing was the biggest downer, both in terms of consumption and driving pleasure!

There you go!

it sorta of automatic for me now when I fill up

Archived