FFS.. 981 purchase drama

cambsnw8

I bet they sell it for that, or nearly that. 

Never underestimate the spending power of the general public. 

We all think that, as we have our hand on the pulse of the market, we know what something is worth. However there are many people who have no interest in that and one of them will walk through the door of the dealer, see a nice shiny lowish mileage car with a warranty and they will buy it. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, topradio said:

I bet they sell it for that, or nearly that. 

Never underestimate the spending power of the general public. 

We all think that, as we have our hand on the pulse of the market, we know what something is worth. However there are many people who have no interest in that and one of them will walk through the door of the dealer, see a nice shiny lowish mileage car with a warranty and they will buy it. 

potentially. But that Lawton Brook red car hasn't gone anywhere (high miles though)

6 minutes ago, 718as said:

Okay let it rest.

I will keep an eye on the ads for you.

Oh yeah I'm over it now... its gone... I'm just interested in how the price has escalated. I'm not a trader (I just have good access to some through my job) so its interesting to learn how it all works really.

And yes I guess because I know what cars go for in the trade, I always want to pay bottom dollar for a car myself... and with that mentality I need to realise I will miss 80% of the cars I like.

I think what this has taught me is that I REALLY wanted that spec. So next time the right spec comes up, don't be so tight! lol

I have bought a few cars for friends and family over the years and there are always low level dealers sniffing around for good quality cars at bargain prices. 

My strategy is to choose my make and model and set up an AT alert. Then when I receive an email I'm looking at the car within an hour or so dependent on location. I take a cash deposit and am prepared to do a transfer at the same time, as required. I also take another driver. 

My experience has been that the good ones go almost immediately.

You snooze, you lose. 

Remember, everything is only as valuable as what someone is prepared to pay.......

I wouldn't think that there are too many punters out there who want a manual Boxster with blue leather, even though extended leather is a brilliant option.

Make the dealer a daft offer, walk away and wait to see what happens....I bet it'll be moved on at a lower price.

RR

1 hour ago, EagleStar said:

Yes thanks. Wrong blue, no PASM or Extended leather.

1 hour ago, 718as said:

LOL posted twice now, stop rubbing it in. 😁

Haha missed that! 🤦‍♂️ great car if you are after a manual. No sport chrono but do people really use it??

5 hours ago, 718as said:

wrong gearbox. I've got a very fast Auto already :)

Boxster has to be a manual

2 hours ago, R1HJK said:

Haha missed that! 🤦‍♂️ great car if you are after a manual. No sport chrono but do people really use it??

I was and am ONLY after a manual and that was the car this whole thread is about. I could have bought it for £30k last Thursday but I missed out.

£38k is too high for that car unless they have re painted the bonnet, door, sills and bumper and had the wheels properly refurbished and not just ground down in the back of a van like some others I've looked at!

5 hours ago, 718as said:

I didn't see PDLS or PTV listed, amongst a few other options.  Makes me think if you specced everything,  how much can you add?!

I thought mine was around £16k but looking at the spec on that car,  mine must be around £23/24k?!

2 hours ago, cambsnw8 said:

wrong gearbox. I've got a very fast Auto already :)

Boxster has to be a manual

Have you tried a PDK? I was also after a manual having had a tip and manual previously. Until I drove a PDK. It is unlike any other automatic car you have ever driven. Within 100 miles I was sold.

2 minutes ago, Broxie said:

Have you tried a PDK? I was also after a manual having had a tip and manual previously. Until I drove a PDK. It is unlike any other automatic car you have ever driven. Within 100 miles I was sold.

I've driven a few PDK equipped quick Porsche's (997.2 GTS, 991 Turbo, 987.2 Cayman R) but never a 981S PDK admittedly. 

However, this is a weekend toy. I don't want it to be PDK.

7 minutes ago, cambsnw8 said:

I've driven a few PDK equipped quick Porsche's (997.2 GTS, 991 Turbo, 987.2 Cayman R) but never a 981S PDK admittedly. 

However, this is a weekend toy. I don't want it to be PDK.

Fair enough, at least you've tried it.

Archived