FFS.. 981 purchase drama

cambsnw8

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, cambsnw8 said:

Ha... so Ashgood bought the car for £30100 actually and now they have it up at £36k! Makes me annoyed all over again that he sold it for £100 more than my offer!!!!

I don't see why? You low balled him to start with so he was probably not particularly endeared towards you. Ashgood will have bought the car without it being inspected, less hassle for the seller and £100 more.

8 minutes ago, topradio said:

And without the hassle of bringing it to you for inspection and possible rejection based on the result. 

he took it to Ashgood and they inspected before buying... so no different to what I ended up offering him Wednesday evening in the end which was to bring it to our workshop for inspection. I'd have then driven him home.

6 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

I don't see why? You low balled him to start with so he was probably not particularly endeared towards you. Ashgood will have bought the car without it being inspected, less hassle for the seller and £100 more.

You think ashgood buy without inspecting! See my above comment.

Look I'm not expecting sympathy from anyone.. I'm just venting :)

Yes it seemed a low ball offer initially but the car wasn't perfect and it needed work, so I felt it was a fair offer. Turns out I was right as no one else bid on it.

Just a bit annoying that I missed it by £100 when I was basically offering him the same deal as Ashgood in the end.

Maybe the owner knew some big bills about to appear (service/tyres/brakes) and decided a trade sale would present much less hassle and your offer may have just convinced him (rightly or wrongly) that £30k was the right ballpark.

If he’d come back to you with counter offer of say £31-32k after he had the dealer’s offer, had you left it open enough for negotiation or was your £30k “best and final”. I don’t think the £100 is neither here nor there, it’s barely a tank and half of fuel. It’s the sellers sense of security selling to a dealer at a fixed price now rather than the risk of your inspection finding more wrong and the risk (to seller) of a further chip on the price once the inspection was done.

I'm not having a go at you Nathan, look at it this way, if he took it to Ashgood and they offered basically the same as you why would he take it away and bring it to you for the same money plus the possibility of you finding something that you don't like and either no longer wanting it or chipping the price. I'm not saying that you would do that, but he doesn't know that you wouldn't. A bird in the hand and all that. 

Also you can't think that you lost it by £100, you don't know how the price may have escalated. A little like an auction where you pull out and the other bidder gets it for the next bid increment. 

Why not offer Ashgood something in between, assuming they have rectified the issues u found, as u would have spent money on it anyway. Surprised that they told u what they paid tbh, as now u know their mark up.

7 hours ago, cambsnw8 said:

Ha... so Ashgood bought the car for £30100 actually and now they have it up at £36k! Makes me annoyed all over again that he sold it for £100 more than my offer!!!!

I’m annoyed by the piece of mitt stuck under the ‘S’ badge in their advert... wouldn’t have seen that in your ownership  😇

3 hours ago, 718as said:

Why not offer Ashgood something in between, assuming they have rectified the issues u found, as u would have spent money on it anyway. Surprised that they told u what they paid tbh, as now u know their mark up.

They didn't tell me. The owner did :)

Well its sold.

So gutted.

I was talking to ash good about buying it off them but they wanted too much for what I felt it was worth.

Seems someone else felt differently though as its just sold anyway.

I'm on the lookout for a nice 981S.

The 2013 blue one mentioned ^ was 33k private. Then Ashgood must've bought it then for sale at 35k. Now another dealer has it up for 38k!!!!

Jeezzzz they're going up in price quite significantly..... and in my eyes priced 'out' for the age of these cars.

So my search continues.

2 hours ago, M12MTR said:

I'm on the lookout for a nice 981S.

The 2013 blue one mentioned ^ was 33k private. Then Ashgood must've bought it then for sale at 35k. Now another dealer has it up for 38k!!!!

Jeezzzz they're going up in price quite significantly..... and in my eyes priced 'out' for the age of these cars.

So my search continues.

Odd. It does indeed look like exactly the same car now at Seymour Pope!

^^^ seems like 2 quick flips.

Depends what they got it for..... But each time the price has increased.

And an easy flip / profit is great for them. Regardless of the amount they net.

2 hours ago, 718as said:

Why would a dealer buy it and ony make £2k?, after tax/warranty etc... wont be left with much.

Ashgood traded it out for a little more than the price he had offered me (both significantly less than £35k)

At £38k I feel it's not too much, especially given its issues. Unfortunately now it will get a few localised smart repairs, a bad / cheap wheel refurb and thats probably it, which makes it totally unappealing to me now. Its also not got loads of brake or tyre life left and its due its big 6 year service in 5 months.

Funny seeing how its moved since last week when I was probably hours away from buying it at £30k. C'est la vie

1 hour ago, 718as said:

hmmm.

Is it worth £38 is the question?

I suppose if there are no others with that spec its worth what someone is willing to pay.......

It was for sale at £34k for 1 month privately and his best offer was my offer at £30k. Odd Seymour Pope didn't offer the private guy the same as they offered Ashgood though. They too could have got it for £30k I guess.

I'd be very surprised if they get £38k for it. 

Hmmm.

Perhaps you should have offered Ashgood a bit more than they bought it for as I suggested, seems like this dealer has done the same.

But I still can't understand why Ashgood did not wait and get more for it themselves.

Just now, 718as said:

Hmmm.

Perhaps you should have offered Ashgood a bit more than they bought it for as I suggested, seems like this dealer has done the same.

But I still can't understand why Ashgood did not wait and get more for it themselves.

I did offer them more than the £30100 they paid. But Ashgood wanted more than I was prepared to pay for a car with no prep or warranty (essentially they would have trade sold it to me but they wanted too big of a mark up)

In hindsight should I have just done it because it was my perfect spec.... yes probably. But I would always have been annoyed that I'd had to pay them £xxxx more than I could have had it privately.... so again I hesitated.

They then obviously got a similar trade offer from Seymour Pope, but one that was higher than my trade offer.

Ashgood retail 30-40 cars a month and trade out 10-15 per month so its not unusual for them.

Archived