FFS.. 981 purchase drama

cambsnw8

So the blue car I went to see a month ago (manual, 26k, massive spec) needed some paint to make it perfect. It was advertised at £34k, I offered £30k.

Yesterday, 1 month later, he calls me and says OK he will accept my offer. Great!. We had arranged for him to bring it to Cambridge to have it inspected in the workshop here......

..... he has just called to say it's now sold for a slightly higher offer than £30k!

🤬🤬

I give up on 981's now.

[/rant]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a fine balance between getting the deal you want and missing out on the car you want. Sometimes it's worth paying that little bit more to get the deal done.

Can't blame the seller really, he gets a bit more and the car is sold, rather than travelling to have the car inspected.

4 minutes ago, cambsnw8 said:

So the blue car I went to see a month ago (manual, 26k, massive spec) needed some paint to make it perfect. It was advertised at £34k, I offered £30k.

Yesterday, 1 month later, he calls me and says OK he will accept my offer. Great!. We had arranged for him to bring it to Cambridge to have it inspected in the workshop here......

..... he has just called to say it's now sold for a slightly higher offer than £30k!

🤬🤬

I give up on 981's now.

[/rant]

That's a shame m8,hang in there,there are still plenty for sale and with in that £30k budget

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?advertising-location=at_cars&search-target=usedcars&is-quick-search=TRUE&radius=&make=PORSCHE&model=BOXSTER&price-search-type=total-price&min-monthly-price=&max-monthly-price=&price-from=25000&price-to=30000&postcode=ba169qs

Shouldn’t really call you to accept your offer then sell to somebody else. That’s bad form and breaks the handshake in my opinion. I would have at least given you the chance to match the slightly higher offer. 

Just buy a 987.2 and use the change for some epic trips or track days (and fuel)

7 minutes ago, mrbikerdood said:

£30k isn't my budget. It's what I felt that one was worth given the paint issues.

2 minutes ago, cambsnw8 said:

£30k isn't my budget. It's what I felt that one was worth given the paint issues.

Ahh …. ok but  plenty out there though and most likely a gr8 deal to be had

5 minutes ago, mrbikerdood said:

Ahh …. ok but  plenty out there though and most likely a gr8 deal to be had

6 manuals on autotrader (5 now that sold.) And none with the options.

Never mind. I'd given up hope on that particular spec once before so I'll just have to forget it over again now.

Its the fact we had basically agreed it on the phone yesterday that p*sses me off.

6 minutes ago, cambsnw8 said:

Never mind. I'd given up hope on that particular spec once before so I'll just have to forget it over again now.

Its the fact we had basically agreed it on the phone yesterday that p*sses me off.

what options you wanting?

4 minutes ago, mrbikerdood said:

what options you wanting?

All of them lol

But as a minimum:

Manual
PDLS
PSE
PASM
Extended Leather
Bose

Oh and ideally blue with a black or blue interior.

Until yesterday I'd given up the search and I'd bought a newer 330d for commuting and was going to either keep my 987.1S or look for a 987.2S with a few options (but again they are all such basic specs on 90% of the ones available)

25 minutes ago, cambsnw8 said:

Did you pay a deposit or similar?

7 minutes ago, map said:

Did you pay a deposit or similar?

Nope. 

I know. I have no right to feel annoyed but you know when something is dangled in front of you and then taken away, you want it even more.

Just feeling a bit gutted I didn't bite his hand off and pay a deposit yesterday.

But my original offer was £30k conditional on it passing a Porsche inspection, and he called me saying he would accept and he had booked it in etc. So I didn't feel the need to pay a deposit right that moment.

Oh well. Win some and lose some.

shows what a slow market it is though if a car that well spec'd hangs around for that long and he ends up (almost) accepting an offer £4k before the advertised price!

Sounds frustrating ... always amazes me what cars ‘really’ sell for (ie £4K chip off the asking!)... 330D is an epic commuter though (I miss my F30) - every cloud .. 

Manuals aren't so easy to flog, most people are looking for pdk on these and a car that's in great condition.

I agree it seems a bit unfair after him agreeing to the deal but it's the risk you take when low balling i think.

Imagine if it was the Porsche dealer that made the offer lol! Be up for 35k next week.

59 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Manuals aren't so easy to flog, most people are looking for pdk on these and a car that's in great condition.

I agree it seems a bit unfair after him agreeing to the deal but it's the risk you take when low balling i think.

Imagine if it was the Porsche dealer that made the offer lol! Be up for 35k next week.

Ha, I did wonder that. Will be interesting to see where it pops up again. I might ring them and offer them £30k as well :)

10 hours ago, cambsnw8 said:

Nope. 

I know. I have no right to feel annoyed but you know when something is dangled in front of you and then taken away, you want it even more.

Just feeling a bit gutted I didn't bite his hand off and pay a deposit yesterday.

But my original offer was £30k conditional on it passing a Porsche inspection, and he called me saying he would accept and he had booked it in etc. So I didn't feel the need to pay a deposit right that moment.

Oh well. Win some and lose some.

My question wasn’t about any right to be annoyed - I know I would be - it’s more about whether or not you had some legal redress should you feel inclined. 

At the end of the day it’s best treated as a “win some - lose some” exactly as you say. 

The trouble is it works both ways that’s why I hate selling cars. Lots of buyers can be time wasters so the seller normally goes for the first person with the money. 

My advice to anyone buying a car is don’t let the seller get chance to sell it on. 

So when he called I would have said I am on my way to look at it then book the inspection with a depo on the car saying refundable if it doesn’t pass. 

Hope you managed to find what you want and have a dealer that’s not a ar*e. 

Mark

Having sold many cars I would always go with the money. In my younger years I would try to help people by agreeing to hold the car for them, only for them to let me down, while at the same time I have put others off and perhaps lost a sale.  

It's the same with viewings, chap rings up and says he will be over in 3 hours and says he wants it then another guy says he wants to see it in 5 minutes. What do you do, tell 5 minute guy to wait or let 3 hour chap get there to be told it's sold or worse he now doesn't like the car. 

What I always do now is tell all enquires it's simply first come, first served and they will have to take their chance. 

Also the other danger of holding something is that it puts the boot on the buyers foot giving him lots of leverage as he knows that you may have delayed other enquiries. 

When we sold Mrs Radios BMW, a 'trader' from 200 miles away said he definitely wanted it and would pay the asking price if I held it until after the weekend. I said I would if he paid a deposit which he promised to do. Of course the deposit never arrived and he rang up on the Monday aggrieved that the advert had disappeared as I had sold to somebody else. He complained that we had an agreement and I pointed out that part of that agreement was that he paid a deposit which he didn't, so deal off. I'm pretty sure that his plan was to turn up and start nit-picking to get money off knowing that I would probably have put others off and was perhaps getting tired of the whole process. 

13 hours ago, topradio said:

Having sold many cars I would always go with the money. In my younger years I would try to help people by agreeing to hold the car for them, only for them to let me down, while at the same time I have put others off and perhaps lost a sale.  

It's the same with viewings, chap rings up and says he will be over in 3 hours and says he wants it then another guy says he wants to see it in 5 minutes. What do you do, tell 5 minute guy to wait or let 3 hour chap get there to be told it's sold or worse he now doesn't like the car. 

What I always do now is tell all enquires it's simply first come, first served and they will have to take their chance. 

Also the other danger of holding something is that it puts the boot on the buyers foot giving him lots of leverage as he knows that you may have delayed other enquiries. 

When we sold Mrs Radios BMW, a 'trader' from 200 miles away said he definitely wanted it and would pay the asking price if I held it until after the weekend. I said I would if he paid a deposit which he promised to do. Of course the deposit never arrived and he rang up on the Monday aggrieved that the advert had disappeared as I had sold to somebody else. He complained that we had an agreement and I pointed out that part of that agreement was that he paid a deposit which he didn't, so deal off. I'm pretty sure that his plan was to turn up and start nit-picking to get money off knowing that I would probably have put others off and was perhaps getting tired of the whole process. 

i had exactly the same thing when selling my R32,told him no and lucky it was such a good spec condition literally 3 days later i had someone else buy it but i had turned down 3 people because of this guy turning up and they werent the easiest cars to sell

6 hours ago, cambsnw8 said:

seems like its ended up at Ashgood. Which is good as I know them :)

Slightly off topic is it your 987 which goes past my house in Harston (I’ve the red 981) ? 

Jim 

On 5/30/2019 at 4:42 PM, cambsnw8 said:

🤬🤬

I give up on 981's now.

I had exactly the same experience. Deal practically done over the phone for £30k but I get a call the next day (evening before I planned to collect the car) and it had been sold to another buyer (whom the seller told me he’d put off for now).

I kept looking and found, imho, a much better car (18k instead of 50k miles), better colour option (black instead of two tone seats) in an OPC with 2 year dealer warranty albeit for £37k. To me the warranty is worth say £2k and the remaining £5k easily covered in the 32,000 mile difference between them (ie 15p a mile added value). Plus more security/peace of mind from an OPC rather than private sale.

3 hours ago, Spinjim said:

Slightly off topic is it your 987 which goes past my house in Harston (I’ve the red 981) ? 

Jim 

I work very close to Harston but never drive through it (I come in via Duxford, and Thriplow)... plus the Porsche is normally at home in Rayleigh. I commute in the BM

Ha... so Ashgood bought the car for £30100 actually and now they have it up at £36k! Makes me annoyed all over again that he sold it for £100 more than my offer!!!!

Archived