Lucky escape, 🤞

Remodot

Well I think I had a lucky escape today from a wet ECU. My drive has a slope up to the garage and a flat area next to it. Normally I would wash the car on the flat area, or with nose uphill, but today I washed it on the slope with nose pointing down hill, not the first time I have washed it facing that way. This afternoon, around 2 hours later, I decided to replace a dodgy phone charge cable which runs from 12V socket in the arm rest to the cubby hole under the centre console. I run my hand over the carpet  and it felt a bit damp. My first thought was a blocked drain hole, but I checked the 2 rear and 2 fronts just last week, I run a trombone cleaner down them maybe once a month. Opening the roof and removing the engine cover carpets I noticed that the drivers side engine bulkhead, behind the seat, was wet. Slid seat forward and lifted the carpet- it was soaking with a small pool of water underneath. I dried out as much as I could with paper towels, luckily the area around the electrics was dry, the passenger side also dry. I had a closer look at the area around the rear driver side drain hole and found a pool of water in front of the hole. 

It looked like there was too much water in that area and although the drain hole did its job with the car pointing down hill the water gathered in front of it and must have run down the bulkhead. I did run a lot of water over the roof as there was a lot of snow foam in it, I don’t normally put snow foam on the roof but did this time for some reason?? Car was left in the sun with roof open and carpet raised behind the seat all afternoon. It’s now in the garage with roof open, carpets over engine out and carpet under seat raised until Monday when it’s booked in for MoT.

So I’m assuming that this is a result of too much water and facing down hill allowing the water to pool in front of the drain hole. How lucky was I to find it when I did😉😰😰

Still dont understand, im currently facing a similar issue with mine, underside of my carpet on drivers side is wet.  All drains are clear! Cant work out where its coming in, door carpet dry as a bone.  My rear liner is lined up as should be to feed into the drip tray.  Its driving me bananas.  

I’m assuming my theory of too much water (I did run a lot of water onto the roof and down between the calm and the roof) and angle of the car resulted in a large pool in front of the drain hole was the cause. My carpet is/was only wet towards the rear of the seat, dry around the ECU. As yours only the drivers side. The carpet is still a bit moist but once dry I will wash the car again, I will not run so much water into that area and keep an eye on it. Sorry I can’t offer any better theory.

Correction to my post, after reading a few posts I now realise it’s the RCU under the seat not the ECU. Sorry about that.

Is the drip tray the plastic tray which has the drain hole in it? I will have a closer look tomorrow. Thanks

Newspaper down around floor and hose the car down heavily, might identify the area to look at. There are the usual suspects but they won’t help if yours is an unusual suspect. 

Attached to the mechanical arms of the hood are two plastic clip on water deflectors (one each side). They're often mis-fitted or missing in which case water enters the cab rather than deflected to the foam drip tray.

56 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Attached to the mechanical arms of the hood are two plastic clip on water deflectors (one each side). They're often mis-fitted or missing in which case water enters the cab rather than deflected to the foam drip tray.

Hi, would you happen to have a picture?

Just now, Remodot said:

Is it the same for 987 & 986? I have a 987.1

28 minutes ago, Remodot said:

Sorry no picture and I failed to notice your car is a 987 rather than a 986. I don't know whether a 987 is fitted with similar deflectors.

6 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Sorry no picture and I failed to notice your car is a 987 rather than a 986. I don't know whether a 987 is fitted with similar deflectors.

@Remodot just checked Design 911 and they have the guide arm cover (part 34 on their diagram) which I think is the corresponding 987 part.

2 hours ago, Boxob said:

@Remodot just checked Design 911 and they have the guide arm cover (part 34 on their diagram) which I think is the corresponding 987 part.

I have both guide arm covers (drivers side can be seen in the picture). The drip tray is in good nick, no cracks or cuts. Upon further investigation (see picture), if I squeeze my hand into the gap where the blue arrow is pointing I can feel it’s wet. When I first had a look on Saturday with nose downhill there was a small pool of water where the red circle is. The drive is not a huge incline so downhill is only maybe 5 to 10 deg, probably not as much as 10 deg. I think this supports my theory of far too much water with pointing downhill hasn’t helped. 

ADnydCd.jpg

I think your issue is not what you have highlighted.  Doesn't make sense.  It wouldnt overflow where red circle is.  You have something else going on.  Ive just found my issue.  Remove the carpeted tall trim which runs up the pillar following the seatbelt, once removed you will see the drip tray where it sits under seatbelt mechanism.  Mine had moved, and when pouring bottle of water straight down the  roof between clam shell, I could see it missing the drip tray and going straight down behind drivers seat.  Re adjusted and fixed in place with gorilla tape. Its now sorted! Worth checking on yours.  

I will have a look in the morning, thanks.

10 hours ago, Kjb1 said:

I think your issue is not what you have highlighted.  Doesn't make sense.  It wouldnt overflow where red circle is.  You have something else going on.  Ive just found my issue.  Remove the carpeted tall trim which runs up the pillar following the seatbelt, once removed you will see the drip tray where it sits under seatbelt mechanism.  Mine had moved, and when pouring bottle of water straight down the  roof between clam shell, I could see it missing the drip tray and going straight down behind drivers seat.  Re adjusted and fixed in place with gorilla tape. Its now sorted! Worth checking on yours.  

Tou are a star👍👍, exactly the same problem, there was about 20mm of trip around a bend not tucked under the metalwork, no idea how it why its leke that as I certainly have never been in that area. Anyway I managed to tuck it back under after about 30 minutes of manipulating it with 2 long screw drivers, couldn't get my hand in and move it around. I also added Gorilla tape, as you did, just to be sure. Run a hose down it again and no water.

Thanks you have saved the day and a possible expensive repair.  I have attached a picture of the offending bit of drip tray.

z8V1x6N.jpg

4 hours ago, Remodot said:

Tou are a star👍👍, exactly the same problem, there was about 20mm of trip around a bend not tucked under the metalwork, no idea how it why its leke that as I certainly have never been in that area. Anyway I managed to tuck it back under after about 30 minutes of manipulating it with 2 long screw drivers, couldn't get my hand in and move it around. I also added Gorilla tape, as you did, just to be sure. Run a hose down it again and no water.

Thanks you have saved the day and a possible expensive repair.  I have attached a picture of the offending bit of drip tray.

z8V1x6N.jpg

Great news!!! Nothing worse than a leak in a vert!! It was driving me literally crazy!!! Pleased you solved it

On 6/6/2019 at 9:49 AM, Remodot said:

z8V1x6N.jpg

Where abouts was this located? Trying to picture where it is and how you got this pic? Was it with roof back a bit?

Roof in service position, seat forward and seat belt unbolted from rollbar. I took the picture from inside the car looking towards the rear, the seat belt inertia reel would block the view if not unbolted. Hope that helps.

Nightmare!!

I was going to wash my  car today as it was such a nice day, to give it a bigger test than just holding a hose over it, however ended up gardening and now we have the rain you had earlier. Car is tucked up in the garage so will be fine, rain all day tomorrow so may wash it Sunday. I did run quite a bit of water over the hood to test it but will keep checking each time after I'm out in the rain or washing the car. 

I wouldn't have seen the area where the water was coming in without removing the seat belt spool, maybe you need to do that as well. Hope you find the leak soon. 

Found it.  Same issue as you further round.  Now resolved, and also found a second tear and half a push rod where failed previously.  Phewffff

Just overwhelmed my window seal with son pouring water all over it.  And also very bottom bit of carpet is wet on door.  Whether we went ott with water whilst testing I dont know.  But so far its dry all of it.  Will keep an eye on the seal of door now.  As rear catch guards are defo not leaking now.

Hi graham1259, how did you get on with checking the drip tray?

Archived